Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Picked this unknown Carlton up earlier in the week mainly for the guards to go on my Harry Middleton .

IMG_20171016_172410084.jpg
IMG_20171017_050542779.jpg

Looks like it should clean up ok .

IMG_20171020_193504376.jpg

Bottom bracket felt a bit strange , can't think why ?

Unsure what is and isn't original , rear hub is dated 1985 can't see any date stamps on the callipers .

Drago

Legendary Member
Nice find as usual Martin. 1960s?

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Trying to think of the Crespera period and the time Carlton dropped the letter in the frame number 1968-72?

According to http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html shows below

"System 1970:"
The first system consists of 7 digits, beginning with 1000000. This system showed its face in 1970 (I have named it accordingly), and was phased out in mid-1973.

EXCEPTIONS: Evidence indicates that a handful of '70-'71 frames - or their lugs, depending on when the stamping was done - may not have been released from the factory until 1973, and were consequently decaled as 1973 models. This is the only explanation I can suggest regarding this issue.

"System 1972:"
A second 5-6 digit serial system was introduced in 1972, overlapped onto some early 1973 models with NO rhyme or reason, and died a quick death before 1973 was out. This system never exeeded 6 digits, and the reason for its introduction remains a mystery. Regardless, it is here, and it will stay.

This system INCLUDES the Grand Prix and Super Course, despite the seven-digit serials (as mentioned in the next system, below) running concurrently on these models.

An additional 7-digit serial system was used in 1973, appearing only on the Grand Prix (including Gazelle production), Super Course, and Grand Sports.

These serials are instantly recognizable, as the first digit is always zero, and low-number serials (i.e., "9181") will have a prefix of as many zeros required to make the serial seven digits - in other words, "0009181" - such as the example Grand Sports shown above.

Keep in mind that this serial system - though used on these three models in 1973 - are not unique to them during this year. Some examples may use one of the two systems listed above, or the later 1973+ variant.

Serial location:

Outside of left dropout.

presta

Guru
That looks like my old Carlton Continental, the brakes look like the Altenburger Synchron that mine came with. Mine was this colour, with green bar tape, and green mudguards.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I had a trawl through the vcc archive library this afternoon and i couldn't match it , starting to think pre 68 due to the decal styles

Where's the inner ring?

Only running a 48 outer at mo

That looks like my old Carlton Continental, the brakes look like the Altenburger Synchron that mine came with. Mine was this colour, with green bar tape, and green mudguards.

Sure the calipers are wienmann centre pulls .

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
According to http://www.kurtkaminer.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html shows below

"System 1970:"
The first system consists of 7 digits, beginning with 1000000. This system showed its face in 1970 (I have named it accordingly), and was phased out in mid-1973.

EXCEPTIONS: Evidence indicates that a handful of '70-'71 frames - or their lugs, depending on when the stamping was done - may not have been released from the factory until 1973, and were consequently decaled as 1973 models. This is the only explanation I can suggest regarding this issue.

"System 1972:"
A second 5-6 digit serial system was introduced in 1972, overlapped onto some early 1973 models with NO rhyme or reason, and died a quick death before 1973 was out. This system never exeeded 6 digits, and the reason for its introduction remains a mystery. Regardless, it is here, and it will stay.

This system INCLUDES the Grand Prix and Super Course, despite the seven-digit serials (as mentioned in the next system, below) running concurrently on these models.

An additional 7-digit serial system was used in 1973, appearing only on the Grand Prix (including Gazelle production), Super Course, and Grand Sports.

These serials are instantly recognizable, as the first digit is always zero, and low-number serials (i.e., "9181") will have a prefix of as many zeros required to make the serial seven digits - in other words, "0009181" - such as the example Grand Sports shown above.

Keep in mind that this serial system - though used on these three models in 1973 - are not unique to them during this year. Some examples may use one of the two systems listed above, or the later 1973+ variant.

Serial location:

Outside of left dropout.

Bear in mind Carlton still used letter prefixes on some high end machines. Just for added confusion.

Top Bottom