Carlton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
Looking through the library the decals on post 68 seem to be chromed style rather than the simple Carlton style on mine

These would be Imichrome decals and were around from the later 60s (c1969) until around 74 when the simple large serif Carlton script waterslide decal was introduced.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Bear in mind Carlton still used letter prefixes on some high end machines. Just for added confusion.[/QUOTE

Who ever said identifying a bike was easy

Spokesmann

That looks like my old Carlton Continental, the brakes look like the Altenburger Synchron that mine came with. Mine was this colour, with green bar tape, and green mudguards.
The Contiental had side pull Weinmann 730s and no rear brazed cable support. This means it could be a Corsa or Criterium under the paint. its not an all chrome Cobra, and I doubt a 531 'ten'.

Last edited:

Spokesmann

So pre 69 then
It say repaint to me. That kind of script was used much later on machines like the Nottingham built Kermesse in the early 80s.

Prior to Imichrome decals, Carlton used a script type font in a couple of designs and in red, white or gold. They were very simple designs.

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It say repaint to me. That kind of script was used much later on machines like the Nottingham built Kermesse in the early 80s.

Prior to Imichrome decals, Carlton used a script type font in a couple of designs and in red, white or gold. They were very simple designs.

It doesn't look re painted but then it's still got dust and grime all over it , once i start work on it i will have a better look

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Here it is for comparison:

Agree re colour scheme

presta

Guru
The Contiental had side pull Weinmann 730s and no rear brazed cable support. This means it could be a Corsa or Criterium under the paint. its not an all chrome Cobra, and I doubt a 531 'ten'.
Yes, I don't know what I was thinking of when I looked at the bike at the top of the thread. :rolleyes:

My Continental had the Altenburger Synchron though, I still have them in the garage on a Raleigh Record after I switched them before I sold the Carlton.

midlife

Guru
This one pitched up 1973-4 iirc but not on everything...

c695721440c8369df3694bc12da90e3e--clubman-retro-bikes.jpg

Spokesmann

Id hazard guess around 76/77 when the all caps block lettering came in... so did the transfer headbadge, although some very small frames with Capella lugs in the 60s had a decal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom