Carrera Axle Mens Hybrid Bike - Good starter bike for commuting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Diego10

Hi everyone.

I've recently moved house and now I'm just far enough away that walking to work is a pain, so I figured it might be time to get myself a bike. I've only ever had a few in my life, and all were hand-me-downs as a kid. And I genuinely can't remember what happened to any of them. Eek!

In the present day I'm looking for a good starter bike for commuting to work in Manchester. I've had a go on the Mobikes we've got here now, but they seem to take so much effort to ride, and they're not very comfortable unfortunately. The route I take is mostly path or road, and with regular jumping on and off kerbs.

I was originally looking at a Python Quantum 8000 which I could get from a local shop for £250 (or they have a mountain bike version for closer to £200), but I found this thread which seemed to suggest a better alternative was the Carrera Axle. Sadly, the bike linked to isn't in stock any more. Maybe it'll come back. Would it be one worth waiting for?

The budget I had in mind originally was around £200, but from reading various forums around the net my head is spinning a bit about how much I might have to spend on either a better model, or replacements for a "BSO" (which I've now learned is a thing). So I'm a bit lost and was hoping to get some advice on what a good option might be.

Hope the information above is enough to go on, but if not please do pelt me with questions and I'll do my best to give you helpful answers.

Thanks!

On that link it shows another called carrera Parva, down to £210, I'm not saying it's a good bike but maybe that's a better deal if you wanted to go Halford route?

The key is getting a bike that fits you well, if you don't know what size you need then it's worth trying g some out etc...

If you do know, or are just not sure about spending a lot, then what about second hand? There's bargains to be had if you can look/wait..

Can you get cycle to work scheme? Worth asking your employer about.

Personally, I think I'll always look secondhand in future for myself, got my last bike when it was 2 1/2 years old, looked like new with no visible wear and had upgraded wheels that were around £300 new - the bike was £1250 new and I paid £250 all in. But of course I knew what I wanted, and watched & waited etc..

Edit- I'm a slow writer, seethe message above..

Drago

Legendary Member
Personally, you might (emphasis on the word "might" as it's to some degree a personal thing) but cheapo dead straight steel forks are liable to give a harsh ride. Aside from that, it's probably a competent machine for general bimbling.

OP
OP
D

Diego10

That looks good to me. Suitable for "general bumbling", as Drago says!

On that link it shows another called carrera Parva, down to £210, I'm not saying it's a good bike but maybe that's a better deal if you wanted to go Halford route?

I don't mind the Halfords route, although in my reading travels I've seen some people saying Halfords is fine whilst others have been very sniffy about them.

The key is getting a bike that fits you well, if you don't know what size you need then it's worth trying g some out etc...

If you do know, or are just not sure about spending a lot, then what about second hand? There's bargains to be had if you can look/wait..

Can you get cycle to work scheme? Worth asking your employer about.

Size wise, using the Halfords guide I'd be looking at a 20" frame as I'm around 5'11".

As for second hand, I think at this point I'm leaning against it purely because I don't know enough to look and find a bargain (and do it up as necessary).

My work does have the Cyclescheme option, yes. Will hopefully mean whatever I buy works out a little cheaper.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.

As you say if you're willing to go second hand you can get a bargain as long as its not had a lot of use. For your budget you could pick up something like this:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cannondale-badboy-hybrid-bike/1304874301
Faster and more responsive than the Axle/Pava which in all fairness is a bit of a donkey. Give it some thought.
Don't forget you'll also need a decent lock, weather clothing and a helmet if you're so inclined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Diego10

Hello and welcome to the forum.

As you say if you're willing to go second hand you can get a bargain as long as its not had a lot of use. For your budget you could pick up something like this:
https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/cannondale-badboy-hybrid-bike/1304874301
Faster and more responsive than the Axle/Pava which in all fairness is a bit of a donkey. Give it some thought.
Don't forget you'll also need a decent lock, weather clothing and a helmet if you're so inclined.

I'll see what's available second hand, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I guess a 500+ range bike at a much lower price.

Looks like a rebranded carrera subway, nowt wrong with them, i use one for winter commuting .

Good to know.

Been discussed in a few thread before, search brought up the following

https://www.cyclechat.net/search/11566595/?q=Carrera+axle&o=relevance

Thanks, I'll have a read...

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the look of the Carrera Axle and Parva linked and discussed above, but now I’ve looked into my work’s cyclescheme I wonder if something slightly more expensive would be better. Like this, that seems to have lots of enthusiastic reviews: https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-1-2018-hybrid-bike-EV275571

It’s more expensive than the Carrera options, but I’d make a saving on it due to how cyclescheme works. What do you think?
Go test ride it, easy at Evans (assume evans takes your work schemes vouchers). You can use the scheme for equipment too. Don't forget to insure the bike as you are responsible for paying until the year is up and the last payment is made

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Funnily enough I was looking at this myself today! £300 for it, but then the Subway 2 is currently on sale at only £280. So that's interesting, considering the Subway 2 is meant to be the higher spec model.
the subway 2 is 9 speed triple with hydro discs,subway 1 is 8 speed triple with cable discs. the 2 is obviously a "bargain " then if its cheaper

Top Bottom