Opinion of Python Quantum 8000 hybrid please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TonyF

I have searched and searched for a review or any kind of rating for this bike but can't find anything. I just want to know if it would be considered a good bike for the price tag. Obviously I could spend more or get a second hand one but I'd appreciate some opinion of this bike please. I normally ride £25 heaps and I know nothing about what makes a good bike. I hate suspension BTW. It retails around £250 and has these specs-

The Python Quantum 8000 Gents City bike is the simple aluminum framed urban bike. Equipped with Rigid Forks, Shimano Tourney 21 Speed Gears and V-Brakes
Options Available:

Bike Model: Quantum 8000
Sizes: Available in 18'', 20'' and 22'' Frame
Colour Available: Matt Black

Specification:

Frame: Python 6061 Alloy Frame
Fork: Hi-tensile Steel 700C Fork with tapered blade.
Brakes: Promax Alloy V brakes.
Gears: Shimano Tourney TX-35 (7 Speed)
Gear Shifters: Shimano EF-51 EZ-Fire Shifters.
Crankset: SR Suntour Triple 28/38/48T with alloy crank.
Wheels: Alloy Double wall rims with front alloy quick release hub.
Weight: 13Kg

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Python bikes tend to be heavy - this one's the same - I had a Python Impact DD that at least had disc brakes. This one comes pretty low spec with V-brakes and 21 speed gears. Personally I'd steer clear. The wheels come with a freewheel rather than a cassette, which means they're likely to be cheaper and the freewheel a pain to remove.

At your price point I'd suggest the Carrera Subway - £240 gets you a 24 speed disc-equipped one without suspension: http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes/carrera-subway-1-mens-hybrid-bike-18-20-22-frames

My son rides one of the Carrera's (cost £100 and had done about 2 miles) and it's been fine for him. He doesn't care about bikes as long as they work, and this does.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyF

Thanks guys. I'd actually looked at the subway 2 but it's a bit pricey. Subway 1 sounds good though.

OP
OP
T

TonyF

A couple of people complained that the Subway's handle bars were low and needed raising. Also, when I looked at one it had very weird tiny little break levers. I haven't read any complaints about that so I assume it's fairly common now and it's just a case of getting used to it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Subway is worth the extra over the Axle, not least because the Subway has a freehub rather than a free wheel.

Problem with the latter is they are less durable and tend to snap, er, axles.

Brakes on either should do the job, but the discs on the Subway would be a bit nicer to use and should need less fettling.

Raising the bars isn't expensive should you need to do it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
. Obviously I could spend more or get a second hand one but I'd appreciate some opinion of this bike please. I normally ride £25 heaps and I know nothing about what makes a good bike. I hate suspension BTW.

Secondhand every time for me. New bikes are depreciation money pits, just like new cars. You buy one new and if you decide you don't like it after a while, you've immediately lost half your money when you go to move it on. If you make a bad choice with a used bike, the odds are you'll be able to sell it for more or less what you paid for it, so your mistake/learning experience won't punish you in the pocket. I don't see any relationship between the cost of a used bike and whether it's a heap or not, only it's original spec and the way it has been treated. ANY bike that rides nicely and doesn't keep going wrong is a good bike by my definition.
All my bikes are flat bar rigid MTB, roadster, or hybrid (I also hate suspension) and the only one bought new was new over 30 years ago! My recommendation is you go and look for a high spec used Raleigh Pioneer with a Nottingham-built lugged frame. Mine would have cost about £250 new back in 1995, which is £450 in today's money - so we are not talking about a cheap imported BSO here! These bikes are oddly unloved secondhand and generally go for very low money, especially the Ladies frames which are more common than the Gents My one (Gents 23") cost me £10 which isn't bad for something with a Reynolds frame! OK, the rear brake was faulty, but that's just a trivial matter.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TonyF

Secondhand every time for me.
I wouldn't be confident buying anything other than something really cheap which is what I've been doing for years. Problem is after a year or two the chain starts jumping and it needs parts costing more than the bike. That's suited me fine for years but I'd like to get something now that I am sure is good. Without an expect checking a more expensive second hand bike over it would be too risky.

OP
OP
T

TonyF

I've just ordered the Subway 1 from Halfords. The gear levers on the Subway 2 are awful (my hand has more than 2 fingers) but they seem a bit better on the 1. Since it seems pretty much impossible to actually try any of these bikes properly before buying I can only go with popular opinion. Every review, video, mention of the Subway seems positive so I ignored my (non tested) liking for the Python. Also, thinking about it further I really want a hybrid close to a MTB. Thanks again guys.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just ordered the Subway 1 from Halfords. The gear levers on the Subway 2 are awful (my hand has more than 2 fingers) but they seem a bit better on the 1. Since it seems pretty much impossible to actually try any of these bikes properly before buying I can only go with popular opinion. Every review, video, mention of the Subway seems positive so I ignored my (non tested) liking for the Python. Also, thinking about it further I really want a hybrid close to a MTB. Thanks again guys.
Cycle republic, part of Halfords, offer testrides if you have a branch locally

Top Bottom