Carrera bikes....value or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chewy

Hi ya'll.

Popped into halfords on the way home from somewhere today and naturally gravitated towards the bikes. One young assistant came across to 'assist' and though a short conversation I was a little impressed wth him, as he seemed to talk sense and poo-pooed some of the bikes on offer as being "cheap and nasty/utter rubbish" but also resisted the urge to flog me (?) a Boardman branded bike saying "its more money than necessary".

He lead me to the CARRERA-area (!) and more or less left me to it after pointing out the fairly obvious (brake type etc), realising that I didn''t have the look in my eye for buying today!

But it did lead to a couple of idea's in my head. One that that a Halfords is only as good as the staff at a particular branch (and I was served quite well today!). And secondly, does anyone have any experience of the Carrera brand? I think i was leaning towards a SUBWAY 1, as seemed a good all-rounder and at a good price (currently a 3rd off).

I realise that its never going to beat a bike many more times its price, but for my needs and aims (mid-distance joy rides, popping to shop, kid entertainment) it seemed fine. Anyone advise me one way or another? Or suggest alternatives?

Cheers much!

Mark_Robson

I have a Carrera Fury 08 and a Virtuoso 07 and both are excellent bikes for the price. The bottom line is that you get a lot of bike for the money but you take your chances with the quality of the staff and setup.

Benthedoon

I have some experience of the Carrera brand.
A couple of years ago I was after a run around, a go on rides with the kids kind of a bike I was in Halfords for something unrelated (windscreen wiper or something) but I left with a Carrera Banshee full sus. MTB.
I had been riding hard tails for a few years doing dual slalom and dirt jumps so I knew MTBs quite well, apart from having mid-range components and bottom of the range (ish) suspension I can't fault it. It's been used and abused and poorly maintained but it still runs smoothly brakes work fine, gears work fine, there's no rust, the only problem was poor initial setup at my local halfords.
If you're after a reasonable starter/ run around I'd say they're fine and usually a good price.
Just my opinion based on my one and only Carrera experience.

jimboalee

My first derailluer bike was from Halfords. A 1972 Halfords 'Olympic' 26 x 1/38 Youths sports tourer.

About 5 years ago, I was ambling through Halfords and spyed the Subway 8. Nexus roller brakes on a Nexus 8. I bought one.
I carried the card carton full of bike to the car and drove it home.

Superb machine. Shame it was stolen.

If the Land Rover bike hadn't have fell in my lap half price, I would have got a Subway 2 with disc brakes.

nezbutz

About 6 months ago I bought a S/H Carrera Kraken for £150 mint condition. I love it, I changed the stem for a adjustable angle one as I got a bit of neck ache, but now its find. The only downside I would say is it is a little heavy. Other than that an excellent all round bike.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I own a Carrera Subway LTD and I love it to bits, it's a great joy to ride, very robust and excellent value for the price, for what you intend to own a bike for, then it's an ideal choice.

I've modified mine from the original bike, but thats more to suit me than the bike itself, but even fresh from halfords the bike was excellent.

If you need any answers on the Carrera then just ask, I'll only be too happy to answer them  :thumbsup:

Norm

I think Subways have a pretty good reputation.

I think a fair few folk use them as a commuter - particularly in winter.

You can get some decent stuff from Halfords (I have a few pairs of out-for-a quick-spin lycra shorts that only cost me £7!) - some folk are, unreasonably, dead set against Halfords - pure snobbery in my view.

Also good for seven speed bits - to keep my faithful hybrid and not so faithful Speed Pro running

Yes the staff can be variable, but so it goes.

vikingcyclist

I have a Carrera Gryphon Disc Spec from Halfords, which I'm very happy with. Not quite so happy with the shop itself and their practices, but I suspect that's a problem with my local shop rather than general.

Absolutely no complaints about the bike though - some upgrades and changes I want to make, but they're just me being picky rather than anything else. Lovely machine to ride.

RedBike

From what i've read Carrea bikes (Halfords in general) are a bit pot luck.

Some are really good and represent really good value for money. Others have been assembled by some oik who would have rather been in the audio section.

I would completly ignore all that 101 point assembly check rubbish / 30 day free service.

When you get the bike be prepared to take a set of allen keys and just check that every nut and bolt is tight / evey part is corectly aligned.
Then after 3 or 4 rides just adjust the cables and re-check everythings tight.

e-rider

crappy member
I have a Carrera Fury 08 and a Virtuoso 07 and both are excellent bikes for the price. The bottom line is that you get a lot of bike for the money but you take your chances with the quality of the staff and setup.

you also take your chances with the quality of the bike; not just staff and set-up

I'd say that they clearly appear to offer good value for money BUT perhaps it's a false economy. IMO you'd be better off spending a little more and getting a Specialized (IMO they make excellent 'cheap' bikes) or even a Boardman (if you really love Halfords)

vikingcyclist

From what i've read Carrea bikes (Halfords in general) are a bit pot luck.

Some are really good and represent really good value for money. Others have been assembled by some oik who would have rather been in the audio section.

I would completly ignore all that 101 point assembly check rubbish / 30 day free service.

When you get the bike be prepared to take a set of allen keys and just check that every nut and bolt is tight / evey part is corectly aligned.
Then after 3 or 4 rides just adjust the cables and re-check everythings tight.

That's pretty much what I had to do. Worrying that as a complete amateur to bike maintenance and repair I managed to get the brakes centered, the cables tightened and the gears sorted whereas the supposed Halford engineers didn't manage that in three trips I made to the store.

Almost makes me think that skipping the assembly by the shop would be better.

e-rider

crappy member
That's pretty much what I had to do. Worrying that as a complete amateur to bike maintenance and repair I managed to get the brakes centered, the cables tightened and the gears sorted whereas the supposed Halford engineers didn't manage that in three trips I made to the store.

Almost makes me think that skipping the assembly by the shop would be better.

Without doubt - that's why Boardman bikes are now availble mail order/online. I'd not want a Halfords employee getting his/her hands on my new bike and wrecking it!

OP
OP
chewy

chewy

Thanks to you all for your replies, they really did help me make up my mind. And so Iam now a few pounds lighter (financially!) but I have a nice new shiny Subway 2 in the garage!

I managed to wrangle 20% further discount off the bike too. All in all £280. I am very pleased with it too, though havent taken it very far as yet.

Oh, and I built it myself!!!!!!:laugh:

Again, thanks for your ideas + views

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
So, how did you find it? Both for the quality of the bike and ease (or otherwise) of building?

I have a Carrera Kraken, it was a display one so ready built. They seemed to do a decent enough job but would have prefered to have built it myself.

Top Bottom