Carrera Corsa

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Picked this up today, thanks for the heads up @biggs682 :smile:
Full 105 groupset including headset, and hubs with Araya rims. It's finished with some unknown - to me [hsin lung?] - bars and a Carrera-branded, Rolls look-a-like saddle.
A couple of the stickers have a bit of damage but otherwise everything spins tidy and looks like it just needs a clean and polish.
It's a few years (and a few extra stone) since I rode on 20mm tyres so they've gotta go, as will probably the corn cob 13-21 cassette.
I thought It felt reasonably light, so I've just weighed it with my cheap chinese scales and it comes up at exactly 25lb, my 22" Mercian on the same scale weighs 25lb 14oz, but I am not a weight weenie!

382e3ed3-f158-4109-ba91-1df7f622b5ef_zpssgyorpvw.jpg
IMAG0458_zpsrw5ubuxt.jpg

IMAG0459_zpsk8miml9n.jpg
IMAG0463_zpskkhmakhe.jpg
IMAG0465_zpseqina1oe.jpg
IMAG0467_zps9ihhvot8.jpg

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@mikeymustard that looks better than it did in the advert .

Glad somebody on cc got it for no real reason , it just looked like it needed to be ridden

The couple of similar age Carrera's i have had have been great to ride so cant see this being any different at all .

Nice 105 kit as well super bonus , enjoy it

OP
OP
mikeymustard
@mikeymustard that looks better than it did in the advert .

Glad somebody on cc got it for no real reason , it just looked like it needed to be ridden

The couple of similar age Carrera's i have had have been great to ride so cant see this being any different at all .

Nice 105 kit as well super bonus , enjoy it
yes it could easily have been sold to someone who'd strip it for its components!
I'm very impressed with it overall, the full 105 groupset is a pleasant bonus, and the bike looks pretty damn sporty with its dizzying angles, short wheelbase and lack of mudguard eyes (I like a sporty frame, gods know why cos I don't go very fast these days), it must've been pretty expensive for Halfords.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to put some new tyres on and give it a run

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikeymustard
Managed to have a look at the bike today: everything that should move, moves and everything that shouldn't, doesn't! This bike has really been looked after. When I had the seat post out I was able to see the shape of the 708 tubing inner walls - fascinating!

I went to change the tyres; apart from the fact that they're only 20mm, the valve had snapped on the rear tube. Swapped the front over no problems, but could I get the rear tyre off? (spoiler alert: no I couldn't) After struggling for about an hour - and breaking one of my Pedro's levers - I ended up having to cut the bead with a hacksaw!

So finally I got to ride it down the Avenue and back, and it feels very nice.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Managed to have a look at the bike today: everything that should move, moves and everything that shouldn't, doesn't! This bike has really been looked after. When I had the seat post out I was able to see the shape of the 708 tubing inner walls - fascinating!

I went to change the tyres; apart from the fact that they're only 20mm, the valve had snapped on the rear tube. Swapped the front over no problems, but could I get the rear tyre off? (spoiler alert: no I couldn't) After struggling for about an hour - and breaking one of my Pedro's levers - I ended up having to cut the bead with a hacksaw!

So finally I got to ride it down the Avenue and back, and it feels very nice.

Those first Avenue / cul de sac rides can be a mixed bag at times

Would the tube shape show on a picture ?

Never had to resort to cutting a tyre up to get it off

OP
OP
mikeymustard
Would the tube shape show on a picture ?
I don't know but if you can imagine it shaped like an octagon; I was imagining it being sort of ribbed rather than flat, don't know why
Never had to resort to cutting a tyre up to get it off
me neither, but I didn't have the energy after an hour of fighting it, I couldn't get any more than about 3" off the rim; I thought Michelin were hard to get off! They didn't match anyway - front was amber wall back wasn't :smile:

donal

Über Member
Just to bunp this thread. I purchased one of these just recently. I’ll add pics tomorrow. The one I got has Reynolds 531 Competition and Ultegra 600. The bike is 60cm or thereabouts and in great overall condition and has the original bartape intact!

Does anyone know much around the history of these bikes please? Were these a proper team racing bicycle back in the day? Can’t wait to start to get using it out on the roads :smile:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Holy thread resurrection
Welcome @donal
I have a lot of time for Carrera bikes of this era they all seem to be well made and nicely specced.
Not sure if they had a race team as such .
Just enjoy it

Top Bottom