Carrera Crossfire E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
@Diogenes, what's the range on it? Does it go down when loaded up with rack and panniers?
I commute 10 miles each way on my road bike through some very sketch traffic and this takes about 45mins, but I've been ran over and had a few incidents lately where if I didn't anticipate it I would have been dead and I'm nearly at the stage of stopping completely.
Instead I've come up with a cunning plan of using my old carrera mtb with city jet tyres and using the canal and parks to do all but the last 2-3 miles, it's a longer route making my daily commute 13 miles each way (138 weekly)and Its also a fair bit slower even though the towpath is really good.
Looking around I saw your post and @jowwy s and think this may be a solution, I'm going to book a 48hr test ride but wanted to have your take on it.
Cheers

I've used it for pottering about but the main trip so far was the 26 mile round trip detailed above. It took an hour or so each way and the best way of describing it is it flattened the route. I still worked but it wasn't unpleasantly difficult. I averaged about 13 mph which is pretty much my average anyway, difference is I did it in jeans and a jacket instead of shorts. As for weight affecting range, I dunno. It hauled my near 17st over the 26 miles and finished with over 30% showing so I think it would do you fine.

I'd say it would be a good commuter and the suspension on the forks would help with potholes and canal paths.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
@Diogenes, what's the range on it? Does it go down when loaded up with rack and panniers?
I commute 10 miles each way on my road bike through some very sketch traffic and this takes about 45mins, but I've been ran over and had a few incidents lately where if I didn't anticipate it I would have been dead and I'm nearly at the stage of stopping completely.
Instead I've come up with a cunning plan of using my old carrera mtb with city jet tyres and using the canal and parks to do all but the last 2-3 miles, it's a longer route making my daily commute 13 miles each way (138 weekly)and Its also a fair bit slower even though the towpath is really good.
Looking around I saw your post and @jowwy s and think this may be a solution, I'm going to book a 48hr test ride but wanted to have your take on it.
Cheers
I do a 30mile round trip commute on mine, with thunder Burt mtb tyres. It's a full tarmac route, but I'm 18.7st and there's 2000ft of climbing approx. If I want a nice leisurely ride home I use eco/tour and I use 2 bars of battery. If I want to thrash it home and have some fun, I'll use 3 bars of battery but in sport/turbo mode..........either way I'm happy.......but happier knowing I can do the 15mile 1500ft home journey in just over an hour. Yet to break the hour mark, but the first 3 miles is difficult to get above 10mph as it's quite a busy, built up section

My cube is fully rigid, 2.1" tyres and flies over the canal sections in rural south wales

Thank you both for the replies, I've got to admit the cube does look better to my eyes, but going to try and have a test ride of both.
@jowwy , does the cube have fixing points for mudguards & rack? The blurb claims it does but can't see any mounting points on the picture.

jowwy

Thank you both for the replies, I've got to admit the cube does look better to my eyes, but going to try and have a test ride of both.
@jowwy , does the cube have fixing points for mudguards & rack? The blurb claims it does but can't see any mounting points on the picture.
Yes all hidden mounts......the rear mounts are inside the triangle

jowwy

Im in gran canaria, the bike is in south wales.....but here is a live pic for you

Screenshot_20180919-175810.png

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Do you have an audio link so you can shout "OI you thieving git, put that down?"

Sjw

Oh yes......alarm and cctv direct to my phone. Theres also a 42" tv, pc and other stuff in that man cave lol
I have mancave envy! Got one bike outside which is coming in soon and two in the living room. Place looks like a garage.

RonnieWeir

I bought my crossfire in July and weather permitting I am out on it when I can. I have done long runs where I have only 4% battery left and I have done almost 400km so far. The first problems I had were the display was upside down when I took for a first run after collecting it. The seat loosened up too and the seat wasn’t exactly comfortable. It’s ok now but I will see about changing it. The other problem I found was the handlebar grips moved a lot. I changed them for grips with end bars as I found my hands and wrists go numb and I need to change the position of my hands. I live about 400 feet up and although a keen cyclist all my life the climb up the hill to my house was always something I hated facing. Not anymore as I can go up that hill at 20kph. I got Halfords to fit a carrier and mudguards which alter the look of the bike. I have two saddle bags for carrying waterproofs and tools. Despite having puncture proof tyres I got one and found that I couldn’t get the wheel out of the frame as the electric cable is tie wrapped to the frame. So I walked it back home using the walk button to fix the puncture. Tipping the bike upside down to take the wheel off is a problem as the display is likely to get damaged easily. I used a cushion from my sofa to make sure it wasn’t damaged. I find myself using the bottom three cogs most of the time and I think a bigger friont chainring would be worth trying. When I took the bike into Halfords for its six week service I bought another tyre and a high output rechargeable back light. It seems odd that a bike with a large battery doesn’t power the lights. I am 66 next month and the bike is putting a bike smile on my face.

gdjul

Almost bottom left, the smallest. You can reset trip distance but I think the total stays. I've changed mine from km to miles :smile: (18.1 today, just saying!)
I used walk assist up the garden path cos I was flagging. Loooooooove it :bicycle::wub:
Hi can you help. Is it the button on the left side of assist buttons + & - ? I have been trying to find an online manual as one was not supplied from Halfords!

gdjul

Hi all I got my Bike yesterday! Thus far very pleased with not being a spring chicken any more! Is there an online manual somewhere for the bike? How do I rest the trip mileage? Always great when the bike comes with no manual!

Top Bottom