carrera subway 1 rigid forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Hi, am looking for some ideas.

I have managed to damage the forks on my subway 1 (height restrictions in carparks and bikes on roof don't mix).

They are £92 for a new set. Some secondhand ones will do but there don't seem to be many specific carrera subway forks around.

I was thinking of looking at other makes. Any suggestions?

Bike is used as a commute bike when the weather isn't great and for family outings with my daughter in a seat.

Thanks

jay clock

Massive member
A pair off a secondhand 1990s MTB of decent quality from the local dump will be cheaper, and do the job fine. I had a Subway 1 for several years and it is an excellent bike

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Hi, am looking for some ideas.

I have managed to damage the forks on my subway 1 (height restrictions in carparks and bikes on roof don't mix).

They are £92 for a new set. Some secondhand ones will do but there don't seem to be many specific carrera subway forks around.

I was thinking of looking at other makes. Any suggestions?

Bike is used as a commute bike when the weather isn't great and for family outings with my daughter in a seat.

Thanks

What is the dropout to crown distance?

The Mosso forks on ebay from China/Taiwan are very light and inexpensive and have had some reasonable reviews. Otherwise these folks have numerous to choose from.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
@recordacefrom new.

Where do you measure dropout to crown distance from and to?

Centre of where the front wheel axle would have been to the bottom of the headset crown race.

Just in case you don't know what the headset crown race is please see the following pic.

fork20.jpg

Bensbikespares

400bhp - £15 cash (7.50p+p) it is only disc though but can include the lot

wheel, forks and postgae for £35 (postgae should be there for next day

and got a few calipers

tektro io (new pads) x 2 = £20 pair
Shiamno cable disc brake = £10 (only got one)

If you buy calipers as well ill through in rotor (160), rotor bolts, and mount for brakes ;) ;)

albion

Guru
Apart from a few different sizes in tube width and length forks are just forks. So I assume any of the right size should fit.

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
@Bikesandspares

Need to think about it.

Couple of qns:
1. The forks don't have v brake mounts then?
2. I need the wheel because it has the disc mounts?
3. Is what you are offering everything I need to convert front to disc brakes?

OP
OP
400bhp

400bhp

Guru
Are all Subway forks the same length, regardless of frame size?

I may buy another 2nd hand Subway and swap over the forks.

festival

Über Member
If you have been quated this price frome halfrauds I would get asecond opinion as that is far more than they used to be.

Also any good bike shop should be able to source something suitable for about £50

battered

Guru
£45 for a Kona P2 is a steal. I'm picking up a newframe from a mate, I'm very very sorely tempted to get those to fit.

Top Bottom