Carrera Subway Limited Edition £244 Opinions Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
ok, old thread, but tis relevant, so bear with me. got myself what appears to be an old subway ltd. running it a CX bike with drops, 700c wheels and schwarble knobblies. only beef is the headset, which is internal cups and oversize. Its been ran in the past with a loose headset so now the top cup has that indexed steering feeling. having dismantled all the only bad damage is inthe top compression race. ie that which is pressed down onto the bearings by the spacers and stem. the headset is either "too tight" or "too loose" with little in between. also there aprears to be a space above this top race, into which an inverted conical compression ring should fit. this is missing on my bike. So my question is,

can you get the top race seperately
and does this headset need a compression ring?

im alittle outta date on the "new" internal cup headsets cos im returning to cycling after quite a long lay off.

Given there are so many variants it is difficult to tell from just what you provided above. If you take at look at this and/or this and compare with what you have I think you should be able to get close to finding what replacement you need and is available (noting that headset parts are not always available and if available often are not much cheaper than a complete one). It is nearly certain that you have 1 1/8" steerer, but as to whether the headset is integrated or semi-integrated it is likely to be dependent on the vintage of your bike.

ste.pearson

Formerly known as stevieP
oops i replyed to old thread

Seeing as the thread got resurrected....

My own Subway (non ltd) lasted approx 1 year before a drivetrain/BB/wheel replacement was needed after approx 2500miles, frame, fork etc was all sound though

A friends Subway Ltd is in much the same condition - structurally sound after 12 months but moving parts need replacing.

I'd buy another as a starter bike for < £250.

Si_

Regular
just to round this off i got sorted, bought a complete new unit for 15 quid, so no worries. i now have a few spare bits and headset that works. result.

Manonabike

Über Member
I have the subway 2 and it's a great little bike. I've made a few upgrades over the years. I would recommend to upgrade the stem. I got one off Planet-X for £10 which saves more than two thirds of the weight. I also upgraded the pedals and saddle which I also recommend. Upgraded the wheels too but after 3 winters.

david k

Hi
Hi i notice that the Carrera Subway Limited Edition is now down to £224 In Halfords
Does anyone own this bike?
Just looking on opions of it for using as a starter bike just getting into to cycling and for communiton to work on roads and cycle paths?
Any advice much appreciated
Graeme

i have a subway 2 and love it. my halfords is great so dont be put off by the snob brigade saying not to trust your halfords store, like any other store some are good and some are not, youll have to find out for yourself, many local bike shops are not great either

Top Bottom