Carrera Subway Limited Edition £244 Opinions Please?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graemeb1783

Hi i notice that the Carrera Subway Limited Edition is now down to £224 In Halfords

Does anyone own this bike?

Just looking on opions of it for using as a starter bike just getting into to cycling and for communiton to work on roads and cycle paths?

Any advice much appreciated

Graeme

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
They are excellent well made bikes, good for a starter bike and and also for commuting. Many people on this forum, myself included started with Carrera Subways.

Just one thing, if you buy the bike, don't let Halfords set it up for you. Take it to your local bike shop and let them do it.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I got a subway2 a couple of years ago to use when teaching, and tbh, i love it to bits! cheap, tough, relatively light and it has a comfotable(for me) geometry. So much so that it's my ride of choice when i go out for a pedal.

+1 what ianrauk said about halfords though ( i asked for a triple on the front as we have a few hills where i live, they never thought to check the bb length, just chucked a new chainset on and i had problems with the front gear change. happily though, this led to me learning a lot more about bike maintenance and setup!)

OP
OP
G

Graemeb1783

Was thinking about the building of the bike and was considering letting halfords build it and then take it to my LBS for a service right away to let them give it a once over

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
I use the carrera ltd and love it, best bike in the price range by far, although I've modified mine from the original bike a great deal(personal preference) but right from the off it was a nice bike to ride (even better now)

1287072519.JPG

Buy one, you'll not be dissapointed :thumbsup:

BigTone0777

They look like a bargain to me although I went for the gryphon just because I like the road gearing and wheels which I'm very happy with. I think the Carrera's in general are great bikes for the money although I agree with the others about Halfords setting it up!

carlito8

I bought the womans ltd edition for my wife the other week and it's a great bike for the money. I've upgraded the pedals, handlebar grips and tyres but the rest of it is great.

I agree with the comments on the halfords setup, they didn't do a great job, mainly loose bolts, tyres not inflated properly, poor adjustment on the brakes etc..... If you don't want to do it yourself definately get a proper bike shop to look at it.

I actually bought the carrera fury for myself a few days ago and again it's the same story, great bike, poor service. In my case it was missing the lockout switch for the top of the forks, both brakes were rubbing badly etc.... all easily sorted but exactly the kinds of things you expect them to do as part of the 'setup'.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Depending on your size, I'd consider the Alfine version for £400 and do away with the maintenace malarky. Think it's called Sub 8.

Alfine equipped bikes are £700+, so to get it for £400 is a bargain

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Awesome bike! At the end of the day it's totally bombproof. Mine takes all the abuse I can thow at it, and still runs like a dream.

That looks like steal at that price. Buy one for the wife while you're at it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bite their hand off !!

My subway 1 was my ticket back into cycling and it was a well built bike that handled everything the weather and roads threw at it till i got the "roadie" bug and swapped my fleet to road bike only.

Si_

Regular
ok, old thread, but tis relevant, so bear with me. got myself what appears to be an old subway ltd. running it a CX bike with drops, 700c wheels and schwarble knobblies. only beef is the headset, which is internal cups and oversize. Its been ran in the past with a loose headset so now the top cup has that indexed steering feeling. having dismantled all the only bad damage is inthe top compression race. ie that which is pressed down onto the bearings by the spacers and stem. the headset is either "too tight" or "too loose" with little in between. also there aprears to be a space above this top race, into which an inverted conical compression ring should fit. this is missing on my bike. So my question is,

can you get the top race seperately
and does this headset need a compression ring?

im alittle outta date on the "new" internal cup headsets cos im returning to cycling after quite a long lay off.

Top Bottom