Carrera Subway or Giant Escape 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComperChris

Hi,
I am trying to get back into cycling having not even been on a bike since I was a teenager and am having some trouble deciding what to get. I don't want to spend a lot until I know I will use it and have narrowed it down to the above two bikes. The advantage tenth Giant is I can get it on my employers cycle to work scheme making it the more or less the same price as I have the Subway reserved for (£200) Unfortunately my employer doesn't use the Halfords scheme.
I will mostly be using it to commute to work a couple of times a week which is about 7 miles each way but will want to use it for weekend country lane rides and occasional light off road stuff.
Could I have some advice as to which is the better bike?

vickster

Legendary Member
I think I'd choose the Giant, has 700c wheels which should roll better on the road - assuming roads are where you'll be as you say (off road, the Subway could be more sure footed with its chunkier tyres)! I expect the Giant is lighter too

Better is pretty subjective - best is which fits you best and suits your needs most (and is aesthetically pleasing to the eye)

You'll also want to consider mudguards, whether a rack is needed for the commute etc

OP
OP
C

ComperChris

Thanks, I think I'm going to go with the Giant as it ought to be faster on the road. I test rode them both today and they were both really nice rides there is just a bit of a wait for the colour I want.

Thanks for your help.

djh22

I have a Giant Escape 3 and thoroughly recommend it,very easy ride,slick gear change. I also looked at the Carrera Subway but it seemed cumbersome in comparison and not so well finished.

OP
OP
C

ComperChris

I have a Giant Escape 3 and thoroughly recommend it,very easy ride,slick gear change. I also looked at the Carrera Subway but it seemed cumbersome in comparison and not so well finished.

That's the conclusion I came to too. I have my Giant Escape 3 on order through the cyclescheme now; just waiting for my employer to authorise it and as I'm a civil servant I expect to be up and riding for next year....
Thanks for your help everyone; I really appriciate it.

tudor_77

Über Member
Enjoy your new bike man!! I have two Giants, a hybrid and a Road bike and absolutely love them. Giant are popular for a very good reason :thumbsup:

Top Bottom