Carrera TDF Fork help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

griff488

Not sure I'd be allowed (SWMBO may have something to say about that despite the formula for the correct no of bikes being N+1) or if I'm even getting a new one. I adapt the same formula to the number of motorcycles I need too!
need to see how this cycle scheme works first.

vickster

Legendary Member
. I adapt the same formula to the number of motorcycles I need too!
need to see how this cycle scheme works first.
None, sell them and get push bikes instead, cheaper to buy and maintain and take up less space, win win

Also keep you fit, and don't pollute the environment, especially noise pollution!

OP
OP
G

griff488

None, sell them and get push bikes instead, cheaper to buy and maintain and take up less space, win win

Also keep you fit, and don't pollute the environment, especially noise pollution!

Yeah but my push bikes are nowhere near as much fun! You can't do 0-60mph in under 3 seconds on them for a start!!
I'm afraid you will have to wrench them from my cold dead hands if you want me to give them up!

vickster

Legendary Member
Well if you are doing 0-60 in 3 seconds on UK roads, the cold dead hands could become a reality but you're unlikely to still be holding the bike or attached to it in anyway :sad: stay safe and sensible

You're not riding the push bikes right if it's not fun ;) or maybe you don't have the right bike

OP
OP
G

griff488

No offence but that is the most predictable response!!
I never said it wasn't fun! Just not as much fun as my motorbike!

OP
OP
G

griff488

putting a carbon fork on a Carrera TDF from Halfords is somewhat like polishing a turd. I would consider buying a new frame and fork set by one of the cheaper dealers like Ribble or Planet-x

Thanks for your useless comment! Not everyone can afford brand new frames. The TDF has done me fine but I figured I'd try and update it a bit. I wish I could afford to spend hundreds of pounds on new bikes but that's not going to happen.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

si_c

Guru
TBH, as has been said above, I'd just go with some wider tyres, you can run these at a low pressure, and that'll eliminate a lot of road buzz.

I run Vittoria Rubino's, basic road tyre. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...igid-vittoria-rubino-3-rigid-tyre/vitttyrr355 less than £20 for two, go for the 700x25c or 700x28c (if you have a lot of space around the tyre on your bike, you need to check you can fit a tyre that's 1/2cm wider).

I have a steel bike, no carbon fork, no road buzz unless the surface is particularly bad, and I run the 700x23c

OP
OP
G

griff488

Thanks for the link vickster and that does look great but I haven't got £300! I might be able to get one on the cycle to work scheme but even thats pushing it.
I wouldn't be spending anywhere near that on a set of second hand forks!

OP
OP
G

griff488

TBH, as has been said above, I'd just go with some wider tyres, you can run these at a low pressure, and that'll eliminate a lot of road buzz.

I run Vittoria Rubino's, basic road tyre. http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...igid-vittoria-rubino-3-rigid-tyre/vitttyrr355 less than £20 for two, go for the 700x25c or 700x28c (if you have a lot of space around the tyre on your bike, you need to check you can fit a tyre that's 1/2cm wider).

I have a steel bike, no carbon fork, no road buzz unless the surface is particularly bad, and I run the 700x23c

I will look at tyres as the ones on there are lugano 23c so might be worth trying wider/better quality ones.
From what people have said I will probably still go for a carbon fork but leave the bars for now and will try different tyres first (change one thing at a time and all that )

Top Bottom