Carrera TDF Fork help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
Thanks for the link vickster and that does look great but I haven't got £300! I might be able to get one on the cycle to work scheme but even thats pushing it.
I wouldn't be spending anywhere near that on a set of second hand forks!
so my comment wasn't completely useless then! You say you don't have much money, but are wanting to spend money on a secondhand carbon fork to reduce road buzz - now that is just wasting the little money that you have. fit some 25mm tyres (assuming you have enough clearance) and ride them at no more than 100 psi - problem solved, without spending much money. You could even fit 28mm tyres if you have the space.

Dan_Marshall

Hi,

I have a Carrera TDF from 2011, bought on the cycle to work scheme. Is a good bike for what it is. Since getting into cycling more my garage has tripled since then, but I still use the Carrera as my commuter for all weathers.

Upgrades I've done:
Tyres (Durano Plus 25MM) - Excellent tyre - recommended :smile: New ones every year
FSA Omega Compact bars - Cheap and suits me better for riding in the drops
Double bar tape - to help with the road buzz on the crappy Dublin roads.
Clarkes triple compound brake pads - change when neccessary

That's it! I agree with the above posts in saying a (cheap) carbon fork will not kill the road buzz you are trying to achieve any more so than better tyres and / or double taping would. Plus the uncertainty of a 2nd hand carbon fork scares me.

The TDF is a good bike for what it is, keep it well maintained and you will get a lot of use and fun from it. Me personally would look at other areas to upgrade before adding a 2nd hand carbon fork to it.

OP
OP
G

griff488

so my comment wasn't completely useless then! You say you don't have much money, but are wanting to spend money on a secondhand carbon fork to reduce road buzz - now that is just wasting the little money that you have. fit some 25mm tyres (assuming you have enough clearance) and ride them at no more than 100 psi - problem solved, without spending much money. You could even fit 28mm tyres if you have the space.

No it wasn't completely useless but wasn't useful either! I am fed up with people slagging off the TDF just because its a cheap bike. For what it cost its great and has done me proud in getting me back onto the road.
The cycle to work scheme looks like its not going to pay off but I may have found a finance deal I can afford so that's probably what I'm going to do. I will still be keeping the Carrera as a winter bike so will look at what people have said regarding tyres. I'm sure some one told me they have 32mm tyres on so should be plenty of clearance.

OP
OP
G

griff488

These might be a reasonable upgrade over stock wheels at just over £61 (and quidco), plus around £20 for rubino 25mm tyres

http://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-wh-r501-clincher-road-wheelset-49086.html

I have already changed the wheels for some Shimano R500's which helped quite a bit so I'll be looking for some wider tyres I think.

Any recommendations for 25mm+ tyres with plenty of tread for wet weather riding? I don't want to go as far as CX tyres but want more tread than the slicks I have.

OP
OP
G

griff488

Hi,

I have a Carrera TDF from 2011, bought on the cycle to work scheme. Is a good bike for what it is. Since getting into cycling more my garage has tripled since then, but I still use the Carrera as my commuter for all weathers.

Upgrades I've done:
Tyres (Durano Plus 25MM) - Excellent tyre - recommended :smile: New ones every year
FSA Omega Compact bars - Cheap and suits me better for riding in the drops
Double bar tape - to help with the road buzz on the crappy Dublin roads.
Clarkes triple compound brake pads - change when neccessary

That's it! I agree with the above posts in saying a (cheap) carbon fork will not kill the road buzz you are trying to achieve any more so than better tyres and / or double taping would. Plus the uncertainty of a 2nd hand carbon fork scares me.

The TDF is a good bike for what it is, keep it well maintained and you will get a lot of use and fun from it. Me personally would look at other areas to upgrade before adding a 2nd hand carbon fork to it.

I love my TDF and have had it for around three years now. Its done me fine and will continue for as long as practicable.

e-rider

crappy member
I have already changed the wheels for some Shimano R500's which helped quite a bit so I'll be looking for some wider tyres I think.

Any recommendations for 25mm+ tyres with plenty of tread for wet weather riding? I don't want to go as far as CX tyres but want more tread than the slicks I have.
if you do some research you'll find that 'tread' on bicycle tyres doesn't provide more grip in wet conditions on a smooth road - the rubber compound is more important and slicks work perfectly well. If you are riding in mud or on gravel and loose material then that's a different matter!

vickster

Legendary Member
Durano+ seem a popular choice or Continental 4 seasons

If you want a more budget tyre, the Vittoria Rubinos are a good value for money choice and available in 25mm http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-rubino-road-bike-tyre/

Or 28mm available from Ribble but no free postage http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/ro...3-Rigid-Tyre-Black-Black-700x28mm/VITTTYRR355)

or 28mm in the more costly pro variant http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vittoria-rubino-pro-road-bike-tyre :smile:

Slioch

Guru
I've got a 4 year old Carrera Virtuoso, which isn't too different from your TDF.

Initially I was running it on the original wheels with a set of 700x23c Vittoria Rubino Pro's running at 110psi. This gave quite a firm ride with a lot of "buzz", occasionally leading to sore hands etc on longer rides.

I am now running it on a pair of Shimano R500's wheels, with slightly wider 700x25c Vittoria Rubino Pros's, and at a slightly decreased pressure of 100psi.

I find this new set-up has significantly decreased the "buzz" and improved the overall ride quality with no noticeable decrease in stability or handling.

Top Bottom