Carrera TDF front gears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The front gears on my bike ( 2 cogs ) take 3 or 4 clicks of the lever to swap gears. Some times 3 clicks will do other times it just makes a noise so I click once more and the chain pops off. This can happen in either direction.

Should they only need 1 click to change like the back gears which are fine ?

No idea how to tweak them but they look easier than the back plus theres all ways youtube :ohmy:
-------------

• Front Mech: SHIMANO FD-A050
  • Gear Shifters: SUNRACE R80
  • Gears: 18
  • Handle Bars: KALLOY BLACK
  • Headset: 1 1/8" AHEAD SET BLACK
  • Hubs: FORMULA ALLOY BLACK
  • Number of Gears: PROWHEEL GLORIA-421C, 50/36T
  • Pedals: Resin with clips
  • Quick Release Wheels: Yes
  • Rear Brake: TEKTRO 510A, ALLOY BLACK
  • Rear Mech: SHIMANO RD-2200

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
possibly a slack cable, and almost certainly the limit screws need adjusting. if you're not sure what you're doing, take the bike to a decent local bike shop who will probably charge less than a tenner (maybe even less than a fiver) to put it right. if you go in and buy a few other bits and say "by the way", they may even do it gratis if they're not busy.

don't worry that you didn't buy the bike from them, they probably make plently of money from fixing bikes that halfords have set up incorrectly.

OP
OP
captainhastings
alecstilleyedye said:
possibly a slack cable, and almost certainly the limit screws need adjusting. if you're not sure what you're doing, take the bike to a decent local bike shop who will probably charge less than a tenner (maybe even less than a fiver) to put it right. if you go in and buy a few other bits and say "by the way", they may even do it gratis if they're not busy.

don't worry that you didn't buy the bike from them, they probably make plently of money from fixing bikes that halfords have set up incorrectly.

Cheers for the info I have been reading this http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75 I will have a go tomorrow night.
I need to figure it out so may as well bite the bullet then if all else fails bike shop here we come ;)

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'd recommend a cable puller, if you're doing cables. you can use pliers, but it takes up one hand and can sometimes make a mess of the cable. cable pullers (aka 4th hand tools) also making replacing brake cables easier (and you will need this doing at some point) which means you would also need cable cutters. in the medium term you'll save a pile of cash by sourcing cables online and fixing them yourself over paying a bike shop to supply and fit them both.

OP
OP
captainhastings
Thanks every one and cheers for them links alecstilleyedye I will order both of them tools.
I think I managed to sort it tonight following this guide http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75
took a few tries but I can now change gear with out it being able to push the chain off.
The adjusters on the lever seem to take for ever to have an affect and I was a bit worried about stripping what ever threads inside.
Also the crimp on the end of the cable popped off just pulling it by hand :thumbsup: and that halfords spanner thing must be made out of jelly babies who ever thought of that should be shot but other than that it went well :biggrin:

OP
OP
captainhastings
Took the bike for a spin 6 or 7 miles today on the hilly little back roads and the chain never hopped off.
It did jam slightly once though but that was my fault I guess when I moved to small cog on the front while it was still on the small at the back.
I just need to use the gears better. I guess even a £500 + bike wouldnt be idiot proof but I can see it being on the cards :biggrin:
Local bike shop have quoted roughly £12 quid to tweak the gears any way so I think I will have it done. Cant complain at that price

Top Bottom