Carron Valley Trails, Anyone Been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig, glad you enjoyed yourself without any major incident. I'd say that if you managed okay at Carron Valley, Glentress would be no problem, the Blue is very easy and they have now added an extra Blue descent, this has a Blue and Red grade on each of the crests, one is a good jump if you have the speed, and the other is really just a roll over. As already mentioned the red is no more technical than Carron Valley, just longer with harder climbs, don't worry about getting in the way, there are lots of places to pull in and let others pass, and you definately won't be the slowest, additionally, each single track descent is in quite short sections, so it is quite easy to judge it so that you won't end up in the middle of much faster or much slower riders. Recent changes to the climb up have added a lot more single track, this is excellent. Glentress really is a superb mtb centre, once you've been a couple of times, you won't be able to keep away, master the red route, then there's the black, which is just amazing, the climbs are long and hard, but the descents just seem to go on for ever.

Have fun

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Talked about it, we are going to Glentress. Arn't all climbs hard? They are to me.

Tell you what though. Two of us had hardtails on Saturday and one guy has a (quite old) Garry Fisher ridged MTB. So much for needing suspension. Guess who was blasting over the jumps and down the tracks the fastest? Not a fat pig who was bringing up the rear, that's for sure ;0)

GilesM

Legendary Member
Mr Pig said:
Thank you for the advice and encouragement. Talked about it, we are going to Glentress. Arn't all climbs hard? They are to me.

Tell you what though. Two of us had hardtails on Saturday and one guy has a (quite old) Garry Fisher ridged MTB. So much for needing suspension. Guess who was blasting over the jumps and down the tracks the fastest? Not a fat pig who was bringing up the rear, that's for sure ;0)

Carron Valley trails are fairly smooth for most of the route, so I wouldn't expect the suspension to help so much, however there are a few descents on the Glentress red run that are much rougher. It also takes time to get used to the trails, some people (especially those with a lower concern for their own safety) will always be a bit quicker initially, as you get more experienced your limits will get closer to the limits of the bike.

Enjoy Glentress, and let us know how you get on.

Renard

I went to CV today and I beg to differ as the trails are pretty rough IMO. There has been a little work on the pipe dream to smooth it out where it was really bad, but the runway has deteriorated somewhat from how it originally was a couple of years ago. There is a lot less fireroad since the new sections were put in last year. As far as Kelpies is concerned you will be fine if you roll up and over it. I find that there is a big rock which makes you take a line to the left on the approach although the ideal line is down the right side of the ramp.

OP
OP
Mr Pig

Mr Pig

Kelpies is the first stone staircase ramp thing that you come to? I chickened out of that. One one of us did it actually. I didn't think that any of the rest of it was too rough, it was kind of what I was expecting, but I think I'd crash on anything much harder that that.

Renard

Yeah the one after you have got to the very top and before you go back into the trees.

BTW when I say that CV is rough I don't mean technical just rocky. You should manage GT ok although the climb up to the view point before spooky wood is tougher than anything at CV. To maximise fun on the way back down I recommend taking the blue route return after the Super G section (just for electric blue and the new section down falla brae which are superb for getting some speed).

Is it worth my while taking my lad (8) to Carron? He's got his first geared bike (hardtail) and likes trails - can't manage too much technical stuff but likes single track.

He was over at Cathkin Braes today and enjoyed himself but I'd like to take him to some other places. All suggestions welcome.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Stig-OT-Dump said:
Is it worth my while taking my lad (8) to Carron? He's got his first geared bike (hardtail) and likes trails - can't manage too much technical stuff but likes single track.

He was over at Cathkin Braes today and enjoyed himself but I'd like to take him to some other places. All suggestions welcome.

I don't think Carron valley is really ideal for a boy that age, there is only really one trail and although it's not very technical, it could be quite a struggle, I would take him to Glentress where you could introduce him to things via the green run and then slowly move him up with bits of the Blue.

Thanks Giles, much appreciated.
Stig

Top Bottom