carry that weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnRedcoRn

i think i am going mad. Whilst its a fairly important consideration ; the ammount of stuff you carry and how heavy it is, i may be thinking about it too much ; currently getting my next mobile phone and guess what my first consideration was ?

yes, how slim and how heavy it is.

on one hand its a negligible diference, but then again it all adds up doesnt it !

is there some sort of helpline for cyclists who have driven themselves insane ?;)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You're a weight weenie, John.

Weight Weenie (n)
Road Bicycle enthusiast who becomes obsessed with subtracting weight from his bicycle at all costs, including overriding safety concerns and practicality. A Weight Weenie will always replace a 100 gram component with a 99 gram component regardless of all other factors, including cost, durability, and overall design and functionality. Materials that are commonly used in the pursuit of lightness include: aluminum, carbon fiber, composites, and titanium.

domtyler

Über Member
If you are entering a race or TT then of course it is important, but if you are popping down to the shops then I would say your obsession is bordering on severe psychosis.

OP
OP
JohnRedcoRn

JohnRedcoRn

well its between those two ; 1 - 2 hour town and country rides weeknights. 2 - 3 hour rides at weekend, and the occasional 50 - 60 mile event.

i dare say i'll gradually lose body weight and get stronger anyway.

got a couple of ideas for long cycle >>> camp / b& b next year, so i'll be needing to increase my luggage capacity, maybe a pannier or two......I fear my head will explode, because not only will it be a question of weight; i'll also have to consider the most efficient use of space / method of packing it all up / weight distribution too. its a nightmare....worst thing i ever did was buy a rackpack with removable partitions that attatch with velcro - the variety of compartments of different sizes you can create is virtually infinite.

ChrisKH

Guru
I actuallly think it's a very practical thing to think about. I have a light bike but not in the weight weenie category. My problem isn't so much weight as size. I tend to take my wife's mobile for example as it slips into my small saddle bag easier.

John, you've just been bitten by the bike bug that's all. :smile:

Bigtallfatbloke

I think I am a little obsessive with weight as well. The first thing I do when a see things is feel them for weight...it's got me into a bit of trouble on occassion:biggrin:

RedBike

lol, I remember asking the salesman for one that was waterproof enough to stand up to being in the pocket of a wet shirt and had buttons large enough to use with gloves on.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I'm looking at the same problem. Its not about weight-weeniedom, its just that an average saddlebag is only so big and is usually full of sharp, scratchy phone-unfriendly objects. For me, features come a long way after size and ruggedness. Unfortunately, phones seem to have become larger recently to support big screens for web access and photoing. An iPhone would last about 20 minutes in my saddlebag.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
A topbar bag like the Topeak tri bag could be the answer then - I keep my phone in a bagaboo holster, but you need to be wearing a rucksack or courier bag for that to work. Another alternative might be something like the bagaboo tool pouch (made out of the same stuff they make truck tarps out of) put the phone in that, then the phone in the saddle bag.

Top Bottom