Carrying a child on your back on a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CeeDee51

I have just seen the most ridiculous thing. I was out riding today on the Mineral Tramway in Cornwall. It's a track that runs between Portreath and Devoran and crosses several roads en route. At one of these junctions a guy on a bike came hurtling down a quite a steep hill with a chid in one of those child carrier/rucksack type things on his back. She couldn't have been any more than 2 or 3 and was so high in the thing that her head was higher than the cyclist's and she had her hands on his shoulders. Don't think her helmet would have made a lot of difference if someone had pulled out in front of them!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
And then something will happen, and he will tell all and sundry just 'how dangerous it is to cycle' before selling the bike on she-bay and getting a big 4wd car(monstrosity)

gavintc

Guru
Report it to your local health and safety busy body. It will make you feel better and will ensure that the local heath and safety man has another dreadful statistic to go on his monthly council report. Everyone wins. But, please do not challenge the cyclist, let him make his own decision on when to use the cotton wool.

domtyler

Über Member
String some razor wire across the path they use, that'll soon learn 'em. Those pesky cyclists!

domtyler

Über Member
ComedyPilot said:
Much as I would not want a child hurt, that is exactly what will stop the idiot from risking their child's neck in future!

Good grief, you do know I was joking don't you? :biggrin:

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
andy_wrx said:
BTW ComedyPilot, it's euphemism

Sorry, copied and pasted from Viz Profanisaurus. Nowt to do wi' me!:biggrin:

I'll change it now.

kyuss

Veteran
Why would having a kid in a purpose made carrier on your back be any less safe than a child seat or tag-along trailer? In fact I'd even suggest it might be safer as if he has a low speed accident he has a chance of breaking the kids fall with his own body and if he was to come off when using a child seat or trailer the bike could easily fall into the flow traffic causing even more damage.

Of course, if he was putting himself and his kid in danger due to the way he was riding then he's an idiot, but that's a different story altogether.

kyuss said:
In fact I'd even suggest it might be safer as if he has a low speed accident he has a chance of breaking the kids fall with his own body

Or alternatively if he fell backwards, he might land on the child and crush it, whereas the child strapped into a protection-cell seat on the bike and wearing a helmet would be fine.

There have been examples of people sitting in cars and carrying children on their laps
- slow-speed shunt, adult not wearing seatbelt has had a bit of whiplash-type injury but has crushed and killed the child against the dashboard ...
- higher-speed shunt, adult OK and child killed by airbag

Top Bottom