Carrying bike on car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
ta folks, very useful, but I think some of you have seriously underestimated my lack of knowledge of cars. I've just been outside and both our cars have recessed strips, which appear to have a rubber insert, running front to rear on each side of the roof. So am I right in thinking that this measn they can accept roof racks? They're a Honda Civic and Mazda Atlantis, both smallish hatchbacks. I'll go and have a look on some other sites but I'm still a bit cloudy on the terminology, ie what's a roof rack, versus a bike rack and whether certain roof racks are more amenable, or even specific, to bikes.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Unless there's a small section of strip at each corner that can be lifted, those strips are just there to cover a major manufacturing joint. I used to have a Civic (there are many called Civic, I know) and the only solution was to buy the feet with the right rubber pads shaped to sit in those little valleys and strong steel clamps, which reach inside the door frame and clamp downwards and inwards to clamp the feet to the roof. Setting these up right on the bars to achieve a good tension was a right old ball-ache but once you'd got it right you could fix them in place for easy mounting next time. Then I had to buy the accessory kits for the bars and yes, Thule stuff is expensive but good quality, I almost believed that once it was set up right you might even be able to lift the car using the ends of the bars and four nylon slings. Buy cheap though and you're risking losing your bikes.

To recap, you probably need:

4 Legs.
4 Foot pads and clamps for your car.
2 Roof bars.
Accessories (bike carrier, canoe, ladder, skis, etc)

Proto

Legendary Member
I've got a Volvo V50 estate and I still prefer to put the bike on the roof, just so quick and convenient.

I have a Thule rack that clamps onto the roof rails and holds the bike by the front forks (with the wheel removed), and a rear wheel cup/strap. Very quick to load, a minute maybe, and very secure, (the clamp has a lock to prevent opportunist theft) and safe up to speeds of 120mph or so (I've tested it).

Proto

Legendary Member
beastie said:
The parachute effect begins at about 55 - 60 mph. Drive at 70 and it adds about 12 % fuel usage. Drive at 75 - 80 and its much much worse.

Are you sure of those figures, even if true, so what? How much does that add to your annual fuel bill? Hardly worth worrying about.

MacB said:
I'll go and have a look on some other sites but I'm still a bit cloudy on the terminology, ie what's a roof rack, versus a bike rack and whether certain roof racks are more amenable, or even specific, to bikes.

Roof Rack = Large, scaffolding-like effort wot is fixed to the roof of your car for the purpose of carrying a load. Mostly these days people use roof bars rather than the roof racks I remember which made your car look like a TV detector van (those old enough will remember what I am talking about!).

Bike Rack = Will either be a contrivance which clamps on to the aforementioned roof bars and should be designed for the express purpose of carrying a bicycle. Normally with this type it's one bike per bike rack.
This can also cover devices which do not need roof bars, but which fix either to the rear of a car or to the towbar, should you have one, again designed for the express purpose of carrying bicycles. These can be designed to carry from two to four (sometimes five) bicycles.

Hope this sorts the terminology out :tongue:

As mentioned in a previous reply, Thule kit is pricey but works very well. Maxxraxx bike carriers are again pricey but good (and built like the Forth Rail bridge so are very secure).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Browser said:
Maxxraxx bike carriers are again pricey but good (and built like the Forth Rail bridge so are very secure).

The Forth rail bridge is rusting away, isn't it?

Top Bottom