Carrying Bikes on the Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gcogger

I use a Thule OutWay Platform 2 bike carrier. It doesn't require a towbar, but raises the bikes enough to clear the rear lights and number plate. You still have to lift the bikes, and it still affects fuel consumption, but it's somewhere in between a tow bar mount and a roof rack in both regards. I was worried if this kind of mount, that attaches to the 'tailgate', would be strong enough, but so far it seems as solid as a rock.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Tow bar ones need the extra cost of visible number plate and you cannot use the boot tailgate whilst bikes are on..so be aware if you have a dog in boot

Many towbar racks allow access to the tailgate - mine certainly does, as it folds down to allow the boot to be opened and accessed. I agree that getting a dog in or out might be a bit tricky.

There’s also the factor of where to store it when not in use as they are quite heavy and bulky - I have a ‘towball’ mounted on my garage wall that allows me to hang it off if there. When out and about I usually demount it and keep it in the boot.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There’s also the factor of where to store it when not in use as they are quite heavy and bulky - I have a ‘towball’ mounted on my garage wall that allows me to hang it off if there. When out and about I usually demount it and keep it in the boot.
Funny you should mention that. I put a load of storage hooks up in my garage last weekend. Rack and light board now neatly hanging up (instead of being tangled in junk heap as before)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Have done this twice - forgetting the bike is on the roof rack. Now have a tow bar carrier. It's a "Volvo" carrier but is actually a Thule with a substantial discount. Thule seem to own brand a few of their models.

I've never used any other racks but I have to say that Thule are good racks. Quality stuff (although I expect the locks would make a half decent bike thief laugh)

Sillyoldman

Veteran
I had a roof rack on last car and had the "smart foot"as fossyant mentioned to allow the rack to fit on other vehicles
I never used another vehicle and have sold my car and rack so the smart foot is on gumtree fir sale now
Over the years I was always wary of bikes on roof for security whilst on the rd at cafe stops or driving home and toe rags following to see where I live ..I never really thought about those issues at time
They are locked onto roof and bikes locked onto the carrier's but these locks are easily broke
Tow bar ones need the extra cost of visible number plate and you cannot use the boot tailgate whilst bikes are on..so be aware if you have a dog in boot
You have to weigh up all the pros cons with reviews I think
I now have a van and feel much more at ease with bikes and security
You should be able to find these racks on gumtree bargains
After all there is not really any wear tear on them so they should be more than useful
Also be aware of reviews that roof racks can howl and scream on the motorway due to wind
My racks were kasima whispbars and shaped like plane wings to reduce noise

Many towbar mounted bike carriers will hinge downwards to allow access for the tailgate to be opened.

Emanresu

Of course, tow bar mounts are not immune from idiots using them

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/i...om-not-too-serious-please.292715/post-7047764

Top Bottom