Carrying Bikes on the Car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

plastic_cyclist

Hi, I have a company car so I'm wondering what the best option would be to mount my bikes to transport...

Towbars are expensive and would involve installing a new one every 3 years (unless they are transferable?)

Are the non-tow bar carriers any good?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Company car? Then roofrack. Change foot pack when new car arrives

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have a towball carrier now but I used to have roof racks. I had Thule ones that I got from "The Roof Box Company" along with the appropriate roof bars for my car.

Worked fine but two drawbacks - if you are short then it's difficult to put the bike up there (I imagine) and you MUST remember they are up there or bad things can happen ( fortunately I never experienced that).

I have a towball carrier now but I used to have roof racks. I had Thule ones that I got from "The Roof Box Company" along with the appropriate roof bars for my car.

Worked fine but two drawbacks - if you are short then it's difficult to put the bike up there (I imagine) and you MUST remember they are up there or bad things can happen ( fortunately I never experienced that).

I use Thule roof carries, i did break one of my bikes on a low hanging tree oops!

In hindsight I prefer the towbar mounted rack, it is more expensive but is low to lift the bike onto.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Almost criminally off topic, but years ago when I was a mod (think last days of Rome) we had a debate about the avatar for the general ”moderators” account, as there had been some objections to the use of the then Dixon of Dock Green image. Shaun settled in the M logo, but @plastic_cyclist your avatar would have been perfect.

OP
OP
plastic_cyclist

plastic_cyclist

Almost criminally off topic, but years ago when I was a mod (think last days of Rome) we had a debate about the avatar for the general ”moderators” account, as there had been some objections to the use of the then Dixon of Dock Green image. Shaun settled in the M logo, but @plastic_cyclist your avatar would have been perfect.

LOL, that was a photo depicting a strapline of “The Only Way is Up” as I was at the beginning of my cycling journey.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
bike wreck.gif

:whistle:

KneesUp

Guru
Hi, I have a company car so I'm wondering what the best option would be to mount my bikes to transport...

Towbars are expensive and would involve installing a new one every 3 years (unless they are transferable?)

Are the non-tow bar carriers any good?

Depends what you mean by transferable. They bolt on, so they bolt off again, but they generally only fit a specific car. My current car is the same model as the previous one (that some idiot drove into and wrote off) Before it was taken away they let me go to the compound it was in to retrieve any "personal effects" - that included the tow bar ... You have to take the bumper off to remove it but it's not a hard job. The same tow bar is on my current car.

dicko

Guru
We toured France with our MG 2 tfi with two racing bikes on the roof. It can be a bit of a struggle getting them up the there by yourself. We invested in a tow bar V mount cheap and simple.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Depends what you mean by transferable. They bolt on, so they bolt off again, but they generally only fit a specific car. My current car is the same model as the previous one (that some idiot drove into and wrote off) Before it was taken away they let me go to the compound it was in to retrieve any "personal effects" - that included the tow bar ... You have to take the bumper off to remove it but it's not a hard job. The same tow bar is on my current car.

Don't you also need to have the electric outlet for a light board fitted? My current car is the only time I've owned a towball rack - it was fitted when I bought the car - and I have to put a light board on it because once the bike is on there it obscures the number plate. I'm assuming that the electric output for that was an extra. But I know nothing about cars.

I also found that with two bikes (my road bike and my wife's hybrid) the two wouldn't play nice and I ended up with quite a bit sticking out either side (a bit nerve racking getting on to the ferry). I remedied this by taking one wheel off each and putting them inside. With one bike it's fine.

Last edited:

Lookrider

I had a roof rack on last car and had the "smart foot"as fossyant mentioned to allow the rack to fit on other vehicles
I never used another vehicle and have sold my car and rack so the smart foot is on gumtree fir sale now
Over the years I was always wary of bikes on roof for security whilst on the rd at cafe stops or driving home and toe rags following to see where I live ..I never really thought about those issues at time
They are locked onto roof and bikes locked onto the carrier's but these locks are easily broke
Tow bar ones need the extra cost of visible number plate and you cannot use the boot tailgate whilst bikes are on..so be aware if you have a dog in boot
You have to weigh up all the pros cons with reviews I think
I now have a van and feel much more at ease with bikes and security
You should be able to find these racks on gumtree bargains
After all there is not really any wear tear on them so they should be more than useful
Also be aware of reviews that roof racks can howl and scream on the motorway due to wind
My racks were kasima whispbars and shaped like plane wings to reduce noise

Top Bottom