Any thoughts on the new Shimano CUES gear sets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Wrong thread?

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Back on topic (sorry) they seem to be simplifying multiple lines (sora, tiagra, alivio, acera etc etc) and merging under one name, but that one name covers .... multiple lines of 9,10,11 speed. So the complex system of different names will just be replaced by a complex system of different numbers (U3000, U4000, U6000 ... ).

What is handy is consistency of cable pull, so (when the road components are released) it should make it much easier to answer questions about "how do I put lower gears on my road bike". And it means that it won't be necessary to remember things like Tiagra 4700 having a different cable pull to other stuff.

I wonder how compatible CUES stuff will be with existing things - can you put a CUES RD and cassette on a bike with X series current shifters?

When my current stuff (105 R7000) wears out in a few years it should all be well established and I'll be giving it a look. I'll also be even more in need of a dinner plate sprocket for the hills than I am now.

By the way CUES stands for Create Unique ExperienceS. I wonder if this was at all inspired by Calvin and Hobbes?
1695713152044.png

Top Bottom