carrying garden tools - question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
Does anyone know of any safe ways of transporting large garden tools like a fork and a spade on a bicycle without using a trailer?

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I either strap them along the top tube with bungies, or using the strap from an old holdall have them slung over my back.

I do notice that cars give me a little extra room.

Paul J

I either strap them along the top tube with bungies, or using the strap from an old holdall have them slung over my back.

I do notice that cars give me a little extra room.

+1 for this but I use old boot laces. Only because I used to use them to tie my fishing rod to the bike when I was a lad.

HovR

Über Member
When carrying a long length of 2x4 back from B&Q one time, I tied it along the top tube with plastic bags. Worked well!

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
'next time'..?

I'm helping out on a community allotment, so will have to transport tools back and forth, at least until a shed gets erected, which should get done soon. I did go by car today, but am thinking of selling it at the end of the month before the insurance expires. If I do sell it I intend to get a decent bike trailer but in the meantime am limited to thinking of intuitive ways of strapping awkward objects to the bike as and when required.

If you carry anything, do not use cable ties to secure it. I did this once taking a golf club into work for a friend. Although I did the 12 mile commute 3 times a week, on this occasion I was absolutely knackered when I got work, so much so that my colleagues were very concerned for me. Turned out that when I applied my brakes at the junction at the bottom of my road, the cable tie pinched the brake cable, this meaning I did the whole commute with my back brake on! Only found out because I had to lift my bike up some steps at work, and when the back wheel bumped on them it hardly spun. Lesson learnt the very hard way!

Top Bottom