cars are rubbish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

neslon

At least a lot seem to be incapable of moving safely when its icy or snowy. The last few weeks have really shown how much they rely on the conditions being perfect. Satisfyingly, the more expensive and sporty ones seem to be the ones least able to cope (I live on an untreated hill). Surely not all the drivers are carp? The big Jeepy things seem pretty iffy as well - I suppose its down to momentum, as they weigh a couple of tons.

Virtual DBP

we have two people with land rovers in our street and they've been up and down our road no probs making everyone else (with big flash cars and/or cheap little ones) very jealous!

GrasB

Veteran
A lot of drivers while not crap simply don't have the driving techniques in their skill set to deal with the icy conditions, it's not their fault per-se as you're never required to learn such skills. That said almost every car I saw today slid down the 3% driveway to the carpark today with all 4 wheels locked, only 2 or 3 people went down the drive in full control… engines revving away as they were doing about 5-10mph in 1st gear.

The other problem will be tyres. Most cars in the UK are fitted with summer tyres which as a general rule give up the will to grip somewhere around 4C, some will work down to 0C or so but very few… surface temps being well below 0C they're already on a loser. Some people may well have all season tyres or summer tyres which work down to 0C or a bit lower & they will cope better but not that much. M&S (Mud & Snow) tyres will probably be coming into their own around now as they seem to be good down to -10C, they're often the tyres found on old school land rovers & work horse 4x4s, those with 'urban 4x4s' probably have summer tyres on. You can also add snow chains/socks to summer & all season tyres which make them about as good as M&S tyres in difficult conditions. Then there are studded tyres, they offer amazing grip for the conditions but probably a little to extreme for UK use.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
One of the things about when people rev like crazy at low speed, you can literally see the treads filling up with snow and film of whisked ice glacing the tyres. Those that don't you can see as fairly clean. Like the thread title.

GrasB

Veteran
marinyork, not when you're in 1st gear using the engine to keep the cars speed in check. Ever heard the term "low going up, high going down"?

marinyork

GrasB said:
marinyork, not when you're in 1st gear using the engine to keep the cars speed in check. Ever heard the term "low going up, high going down"?

Irrelevent comment of the year award goes to GrasB.

You don't see it going up if you have the right speed for the principles I outlined, it's not very hard to work out.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
In icy conditions you shouldn't be using first gear. you want to pull away in the highest gear possible.
That way you have lower revs and it's much harder to spin the tyres. which ultimately leaves you with better control of your car over ice.

dudi

2nd gear is usually better than 1st in icy conditions anyway as it keeps a check on the torque. you really don't want to be in high revs on the ice - recipe for slippy slidy.

I've always quite fancied a Land Rover Defender - maybe if we get this weather every year the wife will le me buy one...

marinyork

gaz said:
In icy conditions you shouldn't be using first gear. you want to pull away in the highest gear possible.
That way you have lower revs and it's much harder to spin the tyres. which ultimately leaves you with better control of your car over ice.

Yeah but GrasB says it isn't like that and car tyres don't act like whisks so it must be right.

GrasB

Veteran
God remind me to be behind you lot when going down hill!.. Instead of using the brakes to slow the car down as you descend, which tends to lock the wheels, you use a low gear & let the engine slow the car down. This also means you can use the brakes with less tendency to lock the wheels.

When climbing a hill you almost let the engine idle & then the car should gently ascend. In this scenario you can then use the brakes to control any wheel spin.

Top Bottom