cars are rubbish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gromit

Über Member
I'm setting off in second gear at the moment and it works fine. Not wanting to use the bike at the moment, I have hurt my knees more times than I like when coming off on ice etc.

I also don't want to take my expensive trike to college until they get a more secure bike shed. Hopefully that will happen soon.

GrasB said:
God remind me to be behind you lot when going down hill!.. Instead of using the brakes to slow the car down as you descend, which tends to lock the wheels, you use a low gear & let the engine slow the car down. This also means you can use the brakes with less tendency to lock the wheels.

When climbing a hill you almost let the engine idle & then the car should gently ascend. In this scenario you can then use the brakes to control any wheel spin.

+1

Lizban

Start in 2nd (with no gas) go up hills in second - use 1st gear when going down hills instead of the brakes - works a treat - sadly cars behind get too close as you are slowing with no brake lights showing.

GrasB said:
God remind me to be behind you lot when going down hill!.. Instead of using the brakes to slow the car down as you descend, which tends to lock the wheels, you use a low gear & let the engine slow the car down. This also means you can use the brakes with less tendency to lock the wheels.

When climbing a hill you almost let the engine idle & then the car should gently ascend. In this scenario you can then use the brakes to control any wheel spin.

Absolutely right. I must say, I understood that from your first post, I don't know where everyone got the idea that you were advocating the opposite from.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Almost

Daihatsu-charade.jpg

Ahhh, cute!! Got one for the other foot too?

Three tyres? Looks like that is a four-wheeled car?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Rhythm Thief said:
Absolutely right. I must say, I understood that from your first post, I don't know where everyone got the idea that you were advocating the opposite from.
Thats because both i and marin commented on the fact of revving your engine in 1st gear to go somewhere. And not regarding using first gear to keep control of the car and slow it down on a slope rather than using the brakes.
a simple bit of confusion.

atbman

Veteran
Seen, and heard, several comments from beemer drivers (in.c neighbour) on how useless they are in snow, i.e. wide tyres = less pressure/sq.in.= much less grip

stowie

Legendary Member
atbman said:
Seen, and heard, several comments from beemer drivers (in.c neighbour) on how useless they are in snow, i.e. wide tyres = less pressure/sq.in.= much less grip

Rear-wheel drive doesn't help in these conditions. Had a rear-wheel drive car a while ago which was appalling in the snow. Traction is lost all the time and the back end slides everywhere. I gave up and walked.

GrasB

Veteran
gaz said:
Thats because both i and marin commented on the fact of revving your engine in 1st gear to go somewhere. And not regarding using first gear to keep control of the car and slow it down on a slope rather than using the brakes.
a simple bit of confusion.
The engine is revving away because you're doing 10mph in 1st or 2nd. Now in 1st something like that speed given small city car may see 3000 rpm... on hill descents earlier this the Alfa was revving between 3500 & 5000 rpm, 4750 rpm red lined, sure I could have changed up a gear but then I'd be going faster than I wished.

Zippy

Surely starting off in 2nd would require more torque than 1st as you are using a stiffer gear (speaking of cars that is)? I would start off in 1st but using very little if any acceleration, that way I start the car rolling with the maximum bite into the slippy surface but with the minimum force.

If you try to pull off in 2nd you may find you need more acceleration and therefore more torque and more likelihood of wheel spin.

Its the same when you are cycling; if you start off half way up the cassette you will spin the rear wheel in snow or wet road so you always start off in 1st; less torque.

Of course if you accelarate in 1st like a looney then wheel spins you shall have.

Descending in low gear makes sense and if you want to warn the driver behind you can touch the brake without engaging brake pads and you will engage the rear lights without braking at all.

But what do I know? I'm just an advanced driver :sad:

Stephen-D

Virtual DBP said:
we have two people with land rovers in our street and they've been up and down our road no probs making everyone else (with big flash cars and/or cheap little ones) very jealous!

Where about in Fife mate :sad:

I drive a 206 and have had not a single problem driving in the Snow ( i just bought 4 Brand new tyres at start of december), my Father in law drives a Jag and lets just say i laughed a lot watching him wheelspin everwhere! :sad:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
GrasB said:
The engine is revving away because you're doing 10mph in 1st or 2nd. Now in 1st something like that speed given small city car may see 3000 rpm... on hill descents earlier this the Alfa was revving between 3500 & 5000 rpm, 4750 rpm red lined, sure I could have changed up a gear but then I'd be going faster than I wished.

i understands how it works, but we were commenting on people who were wheel spinning and revving your engine to start moving, and not using the gears and the engine to slow your self on a hill.

Top Bottom