Cars that exceeded or didn't meet your expectations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Cars I have owned & liked: Bond 875, Austin Cambridge A50, VW 411 coupe, VW K70L, VW Type2 (bay window), Citroen Dyane, Citroen BX turbo diesel, BMW 525D Touring, BMW 320D, Citroen Berlingo, Peugeot Tepee, Citroen C3 Aircross.

Cars I have owned and disliked: Rover 200, Renault 19, Toyota Celica.

There were quite a few others which were unremarkable. 'Owned' includes firms' cars.

I wrote a K70L off once less than 15 minutes after buying it, another driver t boned me out of a junction whilst I was doing about 40mph. The car was a total wreck after spinning down the road demloishing a concrete post and a red phone box, I climbed out of the side window as the doors would not open. There were many other cars about at the time that would not have looked after me so well.

Drago

Legendary Member
People often stare aghast in horror when I mention my Smart car. "You'll die a fiery death if you so much as hit a pigeon", they say. Well, in 2005 when mine was made, it was Euro NCAP4 - No other A segment car scored better as standard (although the C1/107 specced with the optional extra-cost side airbags scored 5). Of the 15 SUV's tested by NCAP that year, the Smart provided superior rollover protection to all but one of them . The wheelbase is so small that in a T bone scenario the impacting car can not fail but to strike either the front or rear wheel, or both, and the understructures are designed to transfer forces into the Tridion cell and around the occupants. Clever stuff. Even the seats are solid metal shells designed to cocoon and protect (albeit with a bit of cloth and foam so you don't get a numb butt).

Some people talk utter testicles about vehicle safety, particularly American drivers.

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Just recalled....I had a Volvo C70 on lease for 2 years. A dream to drive
Mrs Dave sometimes had to sit in the back but then I had to help her get out of the very low bucket type seat.

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad's Sunday toy is a very low mileage C70 convertible, the LPT engine. Punchy, but without the frantic power delivery of the full on fast version. I'm not really into cars as anything other than transport, but it is quite nice to waft along in.

In the UK, where it rains occasionally, the later Navara had a nasty habit of actually snapping in half. Nice.
I've heard Nissan are buying them back. Something to do with the chassis not being galvanized completely,either wrongly programmed robot or jig.

Most surprising car. A 35k miles Skoda Roomster, seemed to promise much and deliver little. Randomly cutting out, going into limp mode on. Very 'surprising' that one on the A1. DSG box that seemed to pay no heed to speed/incline. Random ABS light that baffled the dealer through various software versions until they pretty much gave up and said only thing left was to replace the pump.
It did deliver one last surprise though with 'webuyanycar' by getting more from them for it than anyone else would have given me. Took it to them (Saturday morning at Asda) parked up a distance from the buyer. When he asked me to bring it over it refused to start several times, before spluttering into life. It was duly inspected under a gazebo, where it behaved impeccably. As has been said on here before, their typical low price was offered, grabbed and a rapid exit made.

Least surprising. Nissan Bluebird. It was white, and as interesting as white sliced bread.

Top Bottom