Cars that exceeded or didn't meet your expectations ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..

Sharky

Guru
Peogeott 505 estate. Eight seater and great for carrying the bike without even taking the wheels off. But the steering rack kept going and had to change it a couple of times.

Pity, only done 220k miles

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I bought a 57 reg BMW 520d M Sport when it was 3 years old. Didn’t have it long and the turbo said goodbye £1900 to repair.
A couple of years later the timing chain (a non serviceable part) snapped and damaged the engine £3450 plus recovery to repair.
December last year the car broke down again and requires a high pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors this will probably cost over £2000 to repair. Time to say goodbye, I’m not throwing anymore money at a 10 year old car, I’ve finally got around to listing it on eBay (ends Monday) as spares or repair.
Although the car looks a drives lovely I wouldn’t buy another BMW.
I’ve now leased a new Jaguar F Pace, never leased before but no repair bills anymore for me. :smile:

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
In 2001 I bought a VW T4 Caravelle Multivan from my neighbour, 30,000 miles. He'd bought it new 3 years earlier. I gave him 10 grand.
In the 12 years I had it, apart from service Items I only had to change 1 relay and a couple of central locking solenoids.
I sold it at 15 years old with 136,00 miles on it for £ 7,800.
Not bad.

MarkF

Guru
Renault 4 great little car used it as a builders can when I renovated my first house 40 years ago.

Yay! Was my first car and given to me, I didn't appreciate it as I was too young and gave it away, like I did with a Morris Minor too. Should have just stuffed them in my garage!

MarkF

Guru
Mrs Colly bought a new Daewoo Kalos some 15 years ago. Unfashionable but quite a good looking car. Missed not a beat in 15 years and 100,000miles.
The only problems were things that actually were worn out. Even then it was stuff you would expect.

Sold it for £600 and it still looked good.
View attachment 430979
Tbh I don't think it looked anything like "good" when new. :smile:

MarkF

Guru
I bought a 57 reg BMW 520d M Sport when it was 3 years old. Didn’t have it long and the turbo said goodbye £1900 to repair.
A couple of years later the timing chain (a non serviceable part) snapped and damaged the engine £3450 plus recovery to repair.
December last year the car broke down again and requires a high pressure fuel pump and fuel injectors this will probably cost over £2000 to repair. Time to say goodbye, I’m not throwing anymore money at a 10 year old car, I’ve finally got around to listing it on eBay (ends Monday) as spares or repair.
Although the car looks a drives lovely I wouldn’t buy another BMW.
I’ve now leased a new Jaguar F Pace, never leased before but no repair bills anymore for me. :smile:

Scary! I read Tesla's are now one of the most unreliable cars, amazing as they have so few moving parts compared to fuel powered ones.

I've just bought a 1992 MX5, it's mint and I don't expect anything, ever, do go wrong with it.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Scary! I read Tesla's are now one of the most unreliable cars, amazing as they have so few moving parts compared to fuel powered ones.

I've just bought a 1992 MX5, it's mint and I don't expect anything, ever, do go wrong with it.
Apart from the odd rust issue, MX5’s are supposed to be super reliable. Look great too!

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Chrysler PT Cruiser - suspension collapsed (three times), wiring loom burnt out, and many other problems I can't recall.

Peugeot 307SW - water pump leaked onto the ECU thingummy. Only clue was one headlight not working despite a new bulb. £2000 bill .

MINI Clubman - engine temperature sensor went, water pump cracked.

Yet all my motorcycles (BMWs and Triumphs) have been faultless .Except for the Kawasaki which was a nightmare. Oh, and the Ural sidecar outfit!

MarkF

Guru
Apart from the odd rust issue, MX5’s are supposed to be super reliable. Look great too!

Are there any 25 year old cars without rust issues? Mine was dinitroled from new, a Jap import and has zero rust so I paid a premium. Mk1's are pretty robust and with the pop up headlights, are only going to go up in value. Mk2's have more drastic front chassis rail rust. Still, these are old cars, buy at the right price, have the work done, rails or sills etc Then you have pretty much depreciation free motoring and a whole lot of fun.

It's 25 years old, my scooter is 56 years old, they go up in value and cost peanuts to run, folk are being had, we are going to sell the Focus & Suzuki Swift and buy a vintage Volvo/Saab or summat.

Last edited:
2007 BMW 318i.
I bought it 'Approved Used' in 2010.
Lovely to drive.
Mechanically an absolute bag of shoot.
Water ingress into all door locks, head gasket, cam cover gasket, sump gasket, traction control valve, front wheel bearing, rear axle differential, tracting front and rear.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Back in the day, i used an Alfa Romeo Montrial for about 6 months, Just loved it, i did not own it it belonged to someone i worked for. Amazing Motor,
But know it's a Ford Focus, second one i have owned, Just keeps going, If anything happened to it i would buy another.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My good old 2006 Toyota Corolla 1600 petrol which I have owned since 2009 has been utterly reliable and has 109k miles on the clock; BUT......

A month ago the original exhaust system died and needed replaced from the catalytic converter back. Stupidly I let a back street garage loose on it and they fitted a stainless steel exhaust. The first long run since the exhaust was fitted was last Sunday, down to Oxford. On arrival, a strong smell of petrol had me looking under the car and finding a leak from the petrol tank. Had it checked by a garage in Faringdon, and it appears the exhaust has been misaligned and melted a hole in the tank! Not at all driveable due to petrol dripping onto the hot exhaust.

Long story short, the car is still in Faringdon, a new tank on order will arrive in 2 weeks time hopefully, with a bill of £500+. Meanwhile I had to get a train home with an open return to go retrieve the car. Train fare £157 (less 25% for the delay compensation today!). Yes I have breakdown cover - to take the car to a garage within a 10 mile radius (or they would take it further for £3 per mile. Not much use when home is 400 miles away!).

I am hoping that by forking out on repairs (rather than scrapping it) I will once again have a reliable set of wheels for many more thousands of miles. Meantime I will be taking the matter up with the exhaust fitters, but fear that could be a lot of stress for no result....

Top Bottom