Cartridge Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roscoe

Veteran
I have a Carrera TDF.

Having now down a fair mileage this year on the original pads, I would like to upgrade these to improve.

They're currently the original cartridge pads that came with the bike. I'm looking at either Swiss Stops or Kool Stops to replace them.

Will these just slot in to the existing cartridge or are there different sizes? Couldn't figure it out from what I was reading on Wiggle.

lpretro1

Yes they will. usually jut a little screw to undo or pin to push out holding the old ones in.Sometimes they are a bit of a b****r to get out of the carrier. I find it is a good idea to put a tiny drop of silicone lube on the carrier when fitting the new pad - makes them easier to get out next time - but don't get silicone on pad or rim!!!

First up you need tofind out whether your have Campagnolo or Shimano/SRAM type brake pads. Most likely the latter. Most of them have a little screwin the side, which identifies them. On the other hand, not all Shimano types have the screw, so you might need to check with the shop. If yours have the little screw in the side of the shoe then you can just replace the rubber bit. Otherwise you have to replace the entire brake shoe and liner.
Swiss Stops are good, but at least twice the price of (say) Clarks.

andyfraser

Über Member
Is there a good resource online for what's compatible with what and how you can tell? I still buy the same Shimano brake pads for my disc brakes because I know they work. I find looking at a retailer's website often doesn't give enough information to help a beginner.

I'll have to go through this brake pad learning curve when I get my road bike.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Yeah but they work, why skimp and save on brake pads? Or helmets or eye protection?
There's skimping, and there's skimping.

£7 for something that'll put me over the bars if I fancy that (in BR-650 calipers) versus £20 for something that's how much better?

I'd think about Swiss Stops if I had lousy braking with the best pads I'd tried at sensible prices. As I haven't, I'll stick with Fibrax, ta.

And for pity's sake, don't start a helmet thing in here. There's a forum for that.

There's skimping, and there's skimping.

£7 for something that'll put me over the bars if I fancy that (in BR-650 calipers) versus £20 for something that's how much better?

I'd think about Swiss Stops if I had lousy braking with the best pads I'd tried at sensible prices. As I haven't, I'll stick with Fibrax, ta.

And for pity's sake, don't start a helmet thing in here. There's a forum for that.
I'm not trying to start a helmet thing i just think there are certain things in life that are worth paying top dollar for. Anything that protects your brain, eyes, hands, legs or feet is worth it in my opinion, also because i'm pretty to a certain extent i'll protect my looks. :smooch:And as for swiss stops putting me over the bars, i've never had the feeling they would just nice progressive braking the harder i pull.

Well then, Roscoe. All is quite simple. If you fancy Swiss Stop Green then order a pack from Wiggle (£20 for a pack of 4 last time I bought some). Ten minutes work to replace them and the tiny screw. They are not massively better than alternatives, but seem to last well. I only use them on the front as I barely use a back brake (bought up on fixed, you see.)
No problems. I would use them again as they are better, but twice the price. Your call.

400bhp

Guru
Discobrakes are very good value for money. Swisstops aren't worth the extra from my experience.

I would say more depends upon your rim than the pad.

lpretro1

The Swiss Stops are supposed to be very kind to rims. I fitted them to my ultegra brakes and they have been spot on. Very quiet too.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
... as for swiss stops putting me over the bars, i've never had the feeling they would just nice progressive braking the harder i pull.
You've misinterpreted me slightly - I get that from the pads I'm using (although I've no doubt I could launch myself over the bars had I a mind to (I don't) because the grip is there). So given that, I'm not certain that Swiss Stops are £13 better, or that the degree to which they're better makes a real life difference.

I'm not that bothered that you have a contrary view, and I'm not trying to convert you to Fibrax, or Kool Stop, but I'm wary of recommending £20 per wheel brake pads to a beginner, when £7 per wheel ones will do the job.

Top Bottom