Cartridge Brake Pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a theory that the condition of the alloy braking surface has a greater effect than the hardness of the brake pad compound because I've noticed that on my son's new wheels the braking is poor, even with Swisstop pads, because the rims are in pristine smooth shiny condition, never having been used on wet mucky roads. I'm betting that once the alloy gets a good scrubbing with wet gritty pads the surface shine will disappear and the metal will be eroded and take on a more grabby matt finish. I even believe that erosion with a wet abrasive brake block actually exposes the crystalline structure of the metal and improves friction, whereas lots of braking with a dry, clean brake pad actually polishes the rim.

We shall see.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
[QUOTE="...... but I'm wary of recommending £20 per wheel brake pads to a beginner, when £7 per wheel ones will do the job.[/QUOTE]

Think you're slightly out on the cost of Swissstop pads.
The Green are ~ £20.00 for 4... i.e. £10.00 per wheel.

I find them excellent at the business of stopping in all weathers. They're also quiet and don't seem to pick up the same level of gritty crap as other pads. This means my rims last longer. All things considered I'd rather spent £3 a wheel more on better pads than have to replace £500 wheels.......

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Think you're slightly out on the cost of Swissstop pads.
The Green are ~ £20.00 for 4... i.e. £10.00 per wheel.

I find them excellent at the business of stopping in all weathers. They're also quiet and don't seem to pick up the same level of gritty crap as other pads. This means my rims last longer. All things considered I'd rather spent £3 a wheel more on better pads than have to replace £500 wheels.......
!

You are absolutely right, and I apologise for the (inadvertent) misinformation - I wonder why the product picture is always of two pads! Admittedly, it's a sale price (rrp £25 ish) but Wiggle have four greens for just under £20. ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash-pro-green-high-performance-pads/ )

I don't have £500 wheels, but that's a much more reasonable price - I might try some myself.

andsaw

Disco brakes are the best value for money, no point paying stupid money on anything else.

You've misinterpreted me slightly - I get that from the pads I'm using (although I've no doubt I could launch myself over the bars had I a mind to (I don't) because the grip is there). So given that, I'm not certain that Swiss Stops are £13 better, or that the degree to which they're better makes a real life difference.

I'm not that bothered that you have a contrary view, and I'm not trying to convert you to Fibrax, or Kool Stop, but I'm wary of recommending £20 per wheel brake pads to a beginner, when £7 per wheel ones will do the job.
They're a pretty colour too.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've used Kool Stops for years, but the last time I needed a pair I was struggling to find a pair of Salmons in the UK, seemed easy to get abroad but scarce in the UK.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've used Kool Stops for years, but the last time I needed a pair I was struggling to find a pair of Salmons in the UK, seemed easy to get abroad but scarce in the UK.
Fibrax X-treme are as good (in my experience) and easier to get here. Similar price, if not cheaper (£4.59 at my LBS for a pair).

D

Deleted member 1258

Fibrax X-treme are as good (in my experience) and easier to get here. Similar price, if not cheaper (£4.59 at my LBS for a pair).

I'll have to have a look at those, I've got clarkes on the fixed at the moment, good but not as good as Koolstops.

Top Bottom