Cartridge brake systems - Grub screws ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
From what I can see most of the road brake systems that use a cartridge / replaceable pad have a little socket head screw (almost a grub screw) to hold the pad in. Mine (and at least one other brand) has a 2 mm allen socket, which seems horribly easy to round off.
Any one know where to buy replacement grub screws? Or screws that will fit that have a beefier head?

The thread on mine is about 3.8 mm major diameter and about 4.5mm long.

I'd buy some M4 so see if they work, but can't find stainless ones any shorter than 8mm.

Failing that - a brand of cartridge that uses decent quality screws without costing the earth?

I managed to scrounge a couple off my LBS when I lost one, free gratis and for nowt ^_^

I know what you men about the tiny allen fit type though, and I also know first hand that they are indeed VERY easy to round off :whistle:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Aztec replacements come with new allen bolts. Use a spot of copper grease when you install them.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
Aztec replacements come with new allen bolts. Use a spot of copper grease when you install them.

Aztec - Not got a great reputation as far as the pads themselves go, used to be a good, but seem to be less well reviewed these days.
Any other brands ship pads with replacement set screws?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Aztec - Not got a great reputation as far as the pads themselves go, used to be a good, but seem to be less well reviewed these days.
Any other brands ship pads with replacement set screws?
I've used the Aztec Road Insert Plus pads Dual compound. No complaints. Certainly better than the original Campag Veloce pads.

OP
OP
PpPete

PpPete

Legendary Member
The supplier of the original cartridges has confimed the screws are M4 x 6mm.
But they do have a small "button head" hence only 2mm socket.
Proper socket head M4 screws seem to have a 2.5mm socket so I shall I be getting some of those for now as I have quite a few spare brake blocks already.

Top Bottom