Cassette 11-32 to 11-34

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
The Genesis (10 speed SRAM Rival) will need a new cassette and chain soon. I was going to put the same 11-32 Tiagra cassette on, but given my knee needs mollycoddling on hills I wondered whether I could fit an 11-34 Tiagra cassette instead (which is incidentally £3 cheaper :okay:). Have the medium cage RD, presume I'd just need a standard 10 speed chain?

Thanks in advance

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I think you will need a long cage

Milzy

Guru
I have the latest Ultegra mech which is shadow like off mountain bikes. I can run a 34T no problem on this.
You could with a long cage mech and longer chain.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The hanger is part of the frame so I don’t know if that’s a limitation?
I’ll just stick with 11-32 if I need to start paying for other stuff/work

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was told i'd probably need a longer cage when swapping my 11-28 for 11-32... but I bunged the new cassette on and all is fine with my original cage :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
It all depends on your rear mech. Find the spec, look up the capacity and max sprocket. If you're running a 32T big sprocket now you'll already have a long cage.

34T is a very nice to have - I've just fitted one, so give it a go.
I could ask the LBS who'll be fitting

SRAM don't do a long cage, but it might be that the medium is the same, although I linked above and it says max tooth 32

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I was told i'd probably need a longer cage when swapping my 11-28 for 11-32... but I bunged the new cassette on and all is fine with my original cage :smile:

I did the same on my Tiagra equipt Kinesis & it runs fine, unless you're on big chain ring & 34t on cassette, which you shouldn't be :okay: I'd risk it :smile:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
The hanger is part of the frame so I don’t know if that’s a limitation?
I’ll just stick with 11-32 if I need to start paying for other stuff/work
The derailleur hanger extender I mentioned above bolts on to where your derailleur normally goes, whether onto a hanger or directly on to the frame. Surely worth spending a fiver and getting your LBS to fit when they change the cassette/chain?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
The derailleur hanger extender I mentioned above bolts on to where your derailleur normally goes, whether onto a hanger or directly on to the frame. Surely worth spending a fiver and getting your LBS to fit when they change the cassette/chain?
£6.50 including postage :okay:

Top Bottom