cassette advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I have a dawes karakum (lovely bike) with a nine speed cassette 11/32 I have found a Shimano Deore XT 9 speed cassette 11/32
Just wondering do i need to worry about the xt in the name ?
Thanks

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Not at all.
Any Shimano or SRAM 9-speed cassette will be fine.
It's just a case of choosing the ratio you'd like, and how much you spend.
A cheap cassette will work fine, it's just a bit heavier and not so shiny!

22point8

I'd suggest the Alivio CS-HG400-9 its a lot cheaper, harder wearing and has nickel plating to prevent rust. My mum has it on her Dawes Tanami 2015 (for some reason it came with this newer cassette and newer T4000 rear derailleur). My bike has the Acera HG200-9, its black, not plated but has a unique ratio (11/13/15/17/19/21/24/28/32).

I think I use all of them I do like the gearing
The SRAM cassettes usually come as a one piece body ( where most of the sprockets are) and the smallest sprocket is also the lock ring. This makes life a little bit trickier if you want flexibility in sprockets in the middle of the cassette. The Shimano cassettes are in multiple sections so you have a bit more of a ratio selection available.

OP
OP
captainhastings
does that mean with a Shimano cassette I could swap different sprockets ? As long as I get the same as I have now I will be happy goes like a dream and I sit there and peddle me way up any thing

Top Bottom