Cassette/chain issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
I have a Defy rear wheel with Sram cassette. I've put it on 2 other bikes (Wilier & Mango) and each time the chain seems to slip. I don't recall any issue when it was on the Defy (although I only rode it a few yards)! The cassette does not look worn to my laymans eyes. Is this a compatibility problem with Sram and chain or could there be another reason?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Cassette and chain wear together,if they are worn enough then transfering the wheel to another bike with a new chain you might need a new cassette.
Have you got a chain wear checker? When it gets to 75% you can get away with just changing the chain a couple of times before you need a new cassette,over that and your liable to need a new cassette too.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Also as well as wear being different, the cassette on different makes of hub don't always sit in the exact same position and may need a turn on the rear mechs thumb screw adjuster. I had this swapping between Dura Ace and Hope Hubs. 3 or 4 clicks on my adjuster was needed.

OP
OP
B

brucers

Guru
Also as well as wear being different, the cassette on different makes of hub don't always sit in the exact same position and may need a turn on the rear mechs thumb screw adjuster. I had this swapping between Dura Ace and Hope Hubs. 3 or 4 clicks on my adjuster was needed.

If I understand you correctly, then I don't think this is the issue. The slippage is in direction of pedal, not left/right. Cheers anyhow.

Ajax Bay

Guru
How many miles has the chain on the Defy done, with this cassette? As @cyberknight has alluded, on the information you've given, you have worn this cassette with a chain that's gone beyond the 0.75% elongation stage and when you try to use it with chains which are much less used, the (new) chain will slip. You'll probably be able to carry on using the cassette on the Defy: the chain and cassette will continue to wear in synch, until it slips. Then you'll have to replace both cassette and chain together.
If you want to use the wheel on all three bikes, you need to replace the cassette now and also replace the Defy chain.
Worth keeping a track of how many miles each item ie the three chains and the cassette have done, but this may be too OCD for you.

Top Bottom