Cassette change on my road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beatts

Hi
Would I benefit much from swapping out my 12-25 cassette to a 11-32(on my road bike) in respect to making hill climbs easier.

would this be a straightforward change (9 speed for 9 speed Shimano)?

thanks

adscrim

Veteran
A shimano road rear mech won't take a 32t cassette, max suggested is 27 I think. If you want to use an 11-32 you would need to swap out the rear mech for a MTB one.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
A shimano road rear mech won't take a 32t cassette, max suggested is 27 I think. If you want to use an 11-32 you would need to swap out the rear mech for a MTB one.

Shimano do long cage road mechs (at least 105 and Ultegra, as that's what I use). You would benefit greatly from the change, being able to spin up most hills with ease (depending on your ability of course).

You'd also need to replace the chain; the one you're currently using will be too short.

OP
OP
B

beatts

Ok thanks for the info!

It doesn't seem worth if it if I won't gain that much. I'll just work on my legs more
sad.gif

Nebulous

Guru
I'm on 9 speed shimano and went from 12-25 to 11-28, with a bit of fiddling with the b screw.

The bigger jumps between gears were an inconvenience for a start, but I soon became used to them.

rockyraccoon

Veteran
... It doesn't seem worth if it if I won't gain that much. I'll just work on my legs more
sad.gif

You will. There are some hill which I had to stop and push the bike. I never minded that, but after a few times it started to spoil my rides. I decided to change my from 12-26 to 11-28. What a difference! Hills are not a problem anymore!

OP
OP
B

beatts

"I decided to change my from 12-26 to 11-28. What a difference! Hills are not a problem anymore! "

Wow really just an extra 2 teeth made that sort of difference?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Surprisingly yes it does.

You should be able to get 28t to work with your mech just about. If you are worried about spacing them maybe go for a SRAM cassette as the gears at the top end are closer with big drops for the bottom gears, rather than a more even spread across a Shimano one

Top Bottom