Cassette choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve-W

I have acquired a 1998 Campagnolo Veloce equiped road bike, it's running 53/42 chainring, and the cassette is a 13-26 9 speed, it has a short chage rear mech. I've not long got back into cycling and I think I may find things easier with some lower gearing. It seems 29 looks like the lowest compatible option? Can you tell me what the gearing limits would be with the short cage mech. Or would it be more beneficial to change the inner ring to a 39? I live in Devon in the U.K and the area can throw up some pretty steep hills. Thanks ☺ ( I hope this is the right place for this question) .

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I'm not familiar with campag cassettes but I assume they go to a 34t. In which case all you need is a one of these extenders on your existing short cage mech which pulls it away from the cassette.
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/aluminum-rear-derailleur-hanger-extender/

I think the 10 speed goes up to 30t? A 29 or 30 rear and 39 front will give you a few useable teeth extra I suppose!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would also be inclined to go for a slightly smaller front ring, maybe 39 or 40 rather than 42. If you are concerned about reduced chain tension, you could always remove one link out of the chain to shorten it. Theoretically that might make it sticky trying to go in 52/26, but then you shouldn't really use the large front/large rear combination anyway if you want a good chainline. Road bike gearing is generally a bit on the high side anyway, I've never felt that the 48T large chainring on my hybrids was too small!

woodbutcher

Veteran
Yes its a Campag' hub, and I havent seen anything above 28 in a 9 speed either. :sad:
I go through this problem almost every time a bike ( dont take any notice of other cc'er comments, l dont buy one every week) . Anyway if l were you l would try the 39 chainring option first, probably cost you £15. and it will make a noticeable difference. If you are feeling strong check out Campag. cassette prices :wacko: l just installed an 11/28 Shimano on A Look bike and that was bad enough !
I bought this 39 ring from these folk if it is any help https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Strongli...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Top Bottom