Cassette cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hello People, I have a Mountain bike with a shimano rear cassette. It was black but stupid me thought it was ment to be chrome/silver. It needed a clean so I went at it with a wire brush and then cleaned it with a degreaser. After 5 mins I have noticed it has turned a greeny colour like rust. Is this due to me going through the protective coat. If so can anyone suggest any types or spray that may stop that happening.

Thank you

Normal colour for them.

I won't show you my cassettes, sparkly silver, can't stand dirty ones. The old cotton oily rag run between the sprockets works well - AKA an old T-shirt..

No need for any of this anal routine.
Let it stay on the bike.
Get a bit of old shirt/umderpants/knickers with a nice hem.
Put it between each of the cog pairs in turn, moving it back and forth - the cassette will advance in steps as you do this, ensuring that all is covered.
Good enough.
Ride the bike.
If on your ride you encounter anyone admiring how silvery silvery your cassette is and wanting to fondle/lick it, ride slowly away - don't make any sudden movements.

edit - I meant let it stay on the wheel of course.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I take the cassette off the hub and stick it (and the chain) in an ultrasonic bath with Jizer industrial solvent. Then rinse them repeatedly in the bath with water before sticking the chain in a low oven to drive out the water from the links.

houblon

Citrus degreaser

ebay item 174242438915

The grease, oil and road filth just rinse off with water after scrubbing with this delicious liquid. I use a brush like Roubaixcube recommends.

Much less toxic to user and environment than white spirit, engine degreaser or whale jism.

MTPWild

Probably, but any steel sprocket is liable to suffer rust where there is wear. You wire brushing has just increased the vulnerable area and made it a bit more visible.
If you keep it dry it will not rust (much). A regular spray of WD40 or similar will disperse any water and make any surface oxidation much less visible (especially if there's a residue of good chain lube on the teeth). After a wet ride worth drying roughly with some paper towel (say) and then spraying.
This is not a substitute for chain lubricant.
Cheers mate that helps alot

lately I have found the rear cassettes on my bikes don't require much cleaning, compared to the chains. I've also been removing my chains for cleaning. I find that makes cleaning the cassettes easier w/ just a brush

Top Bottom