Cassette cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay clock

Massive member
I had the pleasure of cleaning my son in laws bike. He had a new chain for it and the cassette was black with muck. I find white spirit is ideal but didn't have any.

So I dissolved a dishwasher tab in boiling water and left a few minutes. Scrubbed each cog for a few seconds and job done. Now looking silver again

Slick

Guru
I've always felt it's quite cathartic cleaning a cassette. :blush:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Whatever light oily substance I can lay my hands on. WD40, GT85, brake cleaner, metal parts cleaner...

There are two different cleaning methods - oil-based or water-based. Oil-based essentially just mixes with the oily residue, loosens it and allows it to be removed - like a solvent. Water-based needs a detergent which lifts the oily reside off of the surface, encapsulates it and carries it into the water phase. I tend to prefer the oily route, although this does have disposal challenges.

MTPWild

Hello People, I have a Mountain bike with a shimano rear cassette. It was black but stupid me thought it was ment to be chrome/silver. It needed a clean so I went at it with a wire brush and then cleaned it with a degreaser. After 5 mins I have noticed it has turned a greeny colour like rust. Is this due to me going through the protective coat. If so can anyone suggest any types or spray that may stop that happening.

Thank you

Attachments

• 16158436841106760074370250267432.jpg
    16158436841106760074370250267432.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 10

Chislenko

Veteran
Brake cleaner, 30 seconds job done.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I normally just use a dish brush like one of these.

ashing-brush-assorted-colours__0713128_pe729273_s5.jpg

The bristles are pretty firm and long enough to get right down to the core so you get it pretty clean. I use a bit of mucc off bike cleaner and warm water and all the dirt comes off pretty quickly.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Is this due to me going through the protective coat. If so can anyone suggest any types or spray that may stop that happening.
Probably, but any steel sprocket is liable to suffer rust where there is wear. You wire brushing has just increased the vulnerable area and made it a bit more visible.
If you keep it dry it will not rust (much). A regular spray of WD40 or similar will disperse any water and make any surface oxidation much less visible (especially if there's a residue of good chain lube on the teeth). After a wet ride worth drying roughly with some paper towel (say) and then spraying.
This is not a substitute for chain lubricant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom