Cassette cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Hi folks,

What's the best way to clean a cassette without removing it from the wheel? Tooth brush?

It's one of those annoying things that seem impossible to get sparkly.

jim55

Guru
baby wipes app,,,fold it into long thin strips and it gets between the rings

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Remove wheel*, place in lap and get to work with an oily rag. Pull taut and work between the rings.

*clean first, otherwise you'll get brake pad goo on yourself.

Terry Kay

I got nailbrushes to do the chain and they do a fair job of the teeth.. Picked up one of those weird thin / bent brushes to get down between the rings.. Does a pretty good job but I can't get the brush clean.. Will have to sneak it in the dishwasher..

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
2977451701.jpg

- one of these if really cruddy and then folded babywipes, but it is so easy to take cassettes off that I prefer to do it that way.

HovR

Über Member
I tried one of those tools, and didn't get along with it. In my experience they get covered in oil and other general muck, at which point they stop cleaning and just push the dirt around. It's also quite hard to clean the muck off the actual tool.

Hmm. I suspect I'm about to have a moment when someone yells and tells me why what I've been doing is wrong but here goes...

I use a chain cleaner spray on the cassette, then give it a good scrubbing with a bike cleaning brush that came in my bike cleaning kit. After this one more thorough spray with the chain cleaner, allow to drip dry and re lube when dry.

It's really nice seeing the cassette go back to that silver colour!

Top Bottom