Cassette for Turbo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
With this appalling weather we’re getting at the moment I an thinking of getting a turbo trainer, something like the Wahoo but my bike is a gravel bike with a SRAM PG1130 Cassette / 11-42T - do I need to buy the same for the turbo trainer.
Thanks

Joffey

Big Dosser
Hi all,
With this appalling weather we’re getting at the moment I an thinking of getting a turbo trainer, something like the Wahoo but my bike is a gravel bike with a SRAM PG1130 Cassette / 11-42T - do I need to buy the same for the turbo trainer.
Thanks

IF you can a Wahoo in stock you can just use the one on your wheel.

Dan77

If you've got to buy a cassette, it would make sense to go with the same one.

If you get one with the trainer (unusual) then as long as it's the same speed it's generally ok, although not in my case because I have an 11-34 which has a spacer so is different alignment to the 11-28 that came with the trainer. I bought the same cassette and swapped it out.

If you do go with the same as your bike, it would make sense to have your trainer difficulty set at 100% otherwise that bottom gear is going to be really easy to turn but you'll get nowhere fast.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
I suppose the big concern if I buy the wahoo , which comes with 11-Speed SRAM/Shimano 11-28T and mine being 11-42 might be an issue with gear changes. I won’t take my bike one off as it’s a real faff.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As long as the biggest cog on cassette isn’t bigger than what you already have, you’ll be fine. Main thing is to make sure you don’t exceed capacity of derailleur and length of chain currently on bike. So 11-28 would be fine. I use a 11-25 cassette on turbo wheel and 11-34 when out on the road wheel. I use bar end shifters in friction mode, so I don’t need to care about what speed cassette is on the back. The turbo wheel is 10 speed and road wheel 9 speed.

You don't need the exact same, your largest turbo cog just needs to be the same or smaller than your bike set up. The 11sp cassettes on my turbo and TT bike are 11-25 and I usually use them together but occasionally I put the road bike on the turbo, the road bike wheels have an 11-28 cassette and the bike runs no problem on the turbo. If the turbo had say an 11-30 cassette I couldn't use either without modification the 11-25 TT bike and 11-28 road bike.
You couldn't run an 11-44 cassette but you could run say an 11-28 cassette, bear in mind though you may not like loss of lower gear but you can always reduce the slope in zwift/RGT to get them virtually back :okay:

Wahoo trainers come with a cassette 👍
Not all, Kickr does Core doesn't.

If looking at either of the above save some dosh and go with the Core.

I bought Kickr and a pal got the Core, in the real world no difference.

Top Bottom