Cassette help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I have a Specialized Allez fitted with Shimano Sora/Tiagra 8 speed. Having saved up a bit I treated myself to a pair of Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels to replace the Jalco ones which came with the bike (I now use the Jalco's for rainy days and turbo training). The problem I have is this. For about the first 100 miles or so all was fine, but yesterday after about 15 miles when I hit a big hill, the bike started making a weird noise and it wouldn't hold in any gear, it seemed to jump between any three adjacent sprokets on the cassette. Riding back on the flat it sounded like a bag of bones every time I went over a bump.
Having taken the wheel off, it appears that the cassette is too narrow for the flange thingy that it slips over, i.e. it doesn't lock tight and the whole cassette moves by a few millimetres each way Does this mean that the wheel is designed for a 9 speed, a different type of cassette or am I being stupid? It appears that some sort of spacer would sort the problem but I've never heard of some a thing, does it exist?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

stevenb

Hi mate.
Was it you who wrote in Cycling Plus Jan edition?:angry:

You'll need a spacer indeed. The freehub on those wheels is designed for 9/10 speed.
http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.php?cat=spacer&prod=freehubspacers

Shop around.
Your local bike shop should stock them for a couple of quid.
Once fitted you should be fine.;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you've just bought them, pop back to the shop - it's common for these to go missing. My Ksyriums had a spacer, but the Aksiums didn't - had fallen off - I fortunately already had spares.

Top Bottom