Cassette help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Currently have a 11/30 cassette on the carbon build - will i have to lengthen the chain if i go upto a 32t cassette to match my other bike build or should it be ok??

Thanks

P.S. please don't respond if your just going to make silly comments about why would anyone need a cassette of that size

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I changed from 11-28 to 12-32 last year and didn't extend the chain length. Maybe it was a tad long in the 1st place... maybe i doesn't matter that much... what's the worst that can happen?

I love the big 32t gear BTW :smile:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I changed from 11-28 to 12-32 last year and didn't extend the chain length. Maybe it was a tad long in the 1st place... maybe i doesn't matter that much... what's the worst that can happen?

I love the big 32t gear BTW :smile:
chain could rip off the rear derrauiler as its under too much stress

Why would you do that? Surely, if experimenting you would fit the new cassette and while the bike is in the stand, shift up and observe. If the derailer in big/big bends forward by more than 45 degrees, you need an extra link.

It is difficult to predict what will happen because no-one knows how far to the limit you already are. Just experiment and observe before mashing the gear.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
yeah but... so long as it can go round both big gears, that's not going to happen. And such a combination isn't needed. Give it a try and if you're happy with the set-up then stick with it... if you still have doubts then extend the chain. :okay:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Why would you do that? Surely, if experimenting you would fit the new cassette and while the bike is in the stand, shift up and observe. If the derailer in big/big bends forward by more than 45 degrees, you need an extra link.

It is difficult to predict what will happen because no-one knows how far to the limit you already are. Just experiment and observe before mashing the gear.
I think it should be ok.....when measuring chain i went big/big plus 2 extra links

I think it should be ok.....when measuring chain i went big/big plus 2 extra links
No, it is much easier for you to see whether the new cassette will work or not. Fit it, shift to big/big and simply observe the position of the RD hanger. If it points forward by more than 45 degrees you need an extra link. If it doesn't, Bob's your uncle. If it is just over the limit, you can still get away with it but just don't shift big/big.

Big Dave laaa

Biking Ninja
Big Big plus 2 for the win!

sight-pin

Veteran
I added just one or two extra links (can't quite remember exact) when going from 12/27 to 11/32 with a medium cage.....Any more links than that allowed the cage to go too far back with 34/32 selected,

Top Bottom