Cassette Lock ring dead/tight fitting rear wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Hi all, (again)

Removed and cleaned the cassette tonight and couldn't get the lock ring on again. Looks like the thread has gone so I'll need a replacement. That's not a problem in itself as I'm sure I've seen them on ebay.

My major concern is that since I got my Fulcrum Quattros the rear wheel has been very tight to get into and out of the dropout.

I'm sure this is the reason why the lock ring is damaged. It was certainly scuffed on the outside from being so tight. I mean I really have to give it a shove to get it out rather than just loosening the skewer and adjusting the mech.

Could it be something like an additional unnecessary spacer somewhere? Any ideas?

maltloaf

When you look for a lock ring, you will probably hit a similar issue to me when I lost a 2.35mm spacer from one of my cassettes.

I could only find them in one place and including postage was around £6, just for a plastic spacer.

I got round it by buying any old 10 speed cassette (I got a worn 105 one for £5 delivered). You could do the same for your lock ring.

maltloaf

I wondered that too but presumed it had been hit inserting or removing the wheel. If it was fouling on anything during use you wouldn't be able to freewheel.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Are you sure the wheels are the same axle width as the frame? Or has the frame been damaged closing the stays? Are the wheels assembled correctly? The dropouts shouldn't be coming into contact with the lockring.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Are you sure the wheels are the same axle width as the frame? Or has the frame been damaged closing the stays? Are the wheels assembled correctly? The dropouts shouldn't be coming into contact with the lockring.

+1. It is certainly worth checking if the distance between the rear dropouts is 130mm.

The other potential issue is what freehub has the Quattro got and what cassette is being used and if Shimano/sram do you have the correct spacer? That could explain the running out of lockring thread as well as its excessive outboard position.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
+1. It is certainly worth checking if the distance between the rear dropouts is 130mm.

The other potential issue is what freehub has the Quattro got and what cassette is being used and if Shimano/sram do you have the correct spacer? That could explain the running out of lockring thread as well as its excessive outboard position.

It's an 11 speed compatible shimano freehub and a 10 speed SRAM PG1070 road cassette - 11-26T. It therefore has a spacer that goes immediately onto the freehub advised to be used if using a 10 spd cassette. I then have a spacer that came with the cassette and then the full cassette as per normal. Should I potentially be using just the one spacer?

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru

Without checking I'm not sure, but it's a fairly modern carbon road frame and these are a season old Fulcrum Quattros straight from the factory - I'd have thought they'd both be standard and compatible. I have had a couple of incidents of the rear cones loosening and minimal play developing.
I've had the LBS tighten on these occasions.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
[QUOTE 2939502, member: 30090"]Does the rear wheel not fit in the dropouts between the cones of the axle rather then against the lockring?

Can't see why the lockring would take any damage.[/quote]
Yeah, I'm not sure either thinking about it in the cold light of day now. It must be damage sustained from forcing the removal of the wheel. Maybe I'll take the whole lot to the LBS tonight.

Colin S

Über Member
If you are running an 11speed compatible Fulcrum hub you only need the spacer that came with the wheels for a 10 speed Shimano cassette. I'm not sure what the other spacer is as I don't have SRAM cassette but I don't see how this can fit as the SRAM and Shimano are the same width. Try it without the additional cassette and you should be right

C

boydj

Legendary Member
With two spacers there might not be enough thread for the lockring to engage. If the cassette will tighten securely, with no play, with the one spacer, that should solve the lockring problem.

Top Bottom