Cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RWright

Guru
It is time for me to change my cassette and chain. I want a little lower gearing to start doing more hill climbing, I have been a little lazy. :whistle: I am also still learning to work on my bikes.

My set up now is Ultegra 6700 11/25 rear cassette with Ultegra 6700 compact 50/34 crank and Ultegra 6700 shifters. I want to go to an Ultegra 6700 11/28 cassette and will probably go with the Ultegra 6701 chain.

Will the shifters handle the jump up to the larger rear cog? The chain I have is hyperglide as is the 6701 chain so I am hoping it will work ok as well. I just don't want to order it and come to find out there is something I was not aware of.

I guess I will get a chain whip and cassette tool while I am doing all this too.

Forget the Shimano chain, get a KMC X10 chain.

Costs less, lasts longer, they offer the best VFM in chains IMO :thumbsup:

The KMC is reckoned to be a bit quieter when shifting gear I believe.
Shifters will handle the 11/28 no problem, thats what I run for the Lancyshire hills, the rear mech is where the problem might be. If you have a short cage mech I suspect it'll need changing to the larger size. Try it and see, you may get away with it you may not.

OP
OP
RWright

RWright

Guru
The KMC is reckoned to be a bit quieter when shifting gear I believe.
Shifters will handle the 11/28 no problem, thats what I run for the Lancyshire hills, the rear mech is where the problem might be. If you have a short cage mech I suspect it'll need changing to the larger size. Try it and see, you may get away with it you may not.

Thanks. I forgot to add that the rear derailleur is Ultegra RD 6700. I knew I forgot to mention something. I guess the most important part. :huh:

Top Bottom