Cassette question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

killiekosmos

Veteran
I have an old Claud Butler Legend which I used for many years as a commuter bike. I've been retired for 4 years and it has hardly moved. Recently I started using it for off-road trails and enjoyed this. However it needs a new chain and cassette. Currently it as an 8 speed Shimano Acera cassette 11-30. Chain rings are 28 38 48 and rear mech is Acera M340 (which I thing is a long cage).

I've seen Shimano 8sp cassettes offered with 11-32 and 11-34 ranges. My question is, would these fit?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Yes they would fit and will work with that mech. The new chain will need to be longer than the old one.

Tom B

Guru
I interchange them regularly depending on what is on offer at the time (they're usually around 9quid).

The limiting factor is your rear mech but as the poster above states you should be fine.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I run the same gearing setup on my Vantage.
I've not had to lengthen any chain so far and that's despite accidently running in a 48 - 34 combo.
The drop from the 34t sprocket to the next down is pretty big. Watch out for that when coming to the crest of a hill. I find it easier to shift into the middle ring from the granny ring than shifting down from the rear 34t.

Top Bottom