1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cassette question

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Mister Paul, 8 Mar 2008.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

I need to change my cassette and chain.

The cassette is a Shimano CS-HG30-8I, 11-32. What's the equivalent now?

The HG50 looks the same. Is the SRAM PG850 better? Any other recommended alternative?

Plus, recommend me a chain. Should I stick with Shimano, and if so which one? Otherwise, what else is good? I want a powerlink in it, as I'm planning to get 2 and rotate them. Do any come with the link in, or do I buy separately?

Thanks

2. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

I reckon Shimano cassettes shift better, so i would stick with them. Sram cassettes are ok, but the shifting is sloppy

I've recently changed to KMC chains, which are proving good enough for me. They come with a 'missing link', which works better than the sram link ime

3. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Thanks Steve. If I get an 8-speed KMC chain with a link, is it going to be the right length, or does this depend on the bike?

Any other opinions?

to change the cassette, do I need anything more than the right tools and a new cassette?

Oh, one other thing -would I notice much of a difference going from 32 to 30 on the biggun?

4. longers

longers Veteran

I think:-

i) The chain will need to be shortened to the correct length. (Run chain round biggest sprocket and largest chain ring and add one complete link - not running chain through derailleur).

ii) No.

ii) I don't think so.