Cassette ratios

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smiggs1967

Regular
hi all

I am really struggling with gear ratios and wether they are best for climbing or sprinting etc. I am buying a 11:26 10 gear cassette, any idea what this is best for ?

IanG1

Higher the second number the easier the climb will be.

AndyRM

XOXO
Also depends on what you've got up front. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but a standard (53t) big ring will give you considerably more oomph than a compact (50t).

OP
OP
S

smiggs1967

Regular
Also depends on what you've got up front. I'm not entirely sure how it works, but a standard (53t) big ring will give you considerably more oomph than a compact (50t).

Unfortunately I have a 50t chain ring, I am currently in the process of completing a beginner, intermediate and advanced bike maintenance courses. I have finished the first 2 and the third is in November. Not sure if changing the chain ring involves a full change of the chain set, chain etc. Cheers mate

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Unfortunately I have a 50t chain ring, I am currently in the process of completing a beginner, intermediate and advanced bike maintenance courses. I have finished the first 2 and the third is in November. Not sure if changing the chain ring involves a full change of the chain set, chain etc. Cheers mate
Yes it will. Standard chainsets are 20mm bigger BCD and will require a new chain.

Peteaud

Veteran
Well a 50 front to a 11 back, at a cadence of 90 rpm = 32.0 mph

so 15 miles to work should take you approx 1/2 hour.

(allowing time to get up to speed etc)

^_^

OP
OP
S

smiggs1967

Regular
Well a 50 front to a 11 back, at a cadence of 90 rpm = 32.0 mph

so 15 miles to work should take you approx 1/2 hour.

(allowing time to get up to speed etc)

^_^

Well, my record is 42 minutes (18mph ish ) but wanted to achieve this consistently.

ayceejay

Guru
Just in case it is not clear: it is the combination of chainring and rear sprocket that dictates the gear ratio. If you are riding a double chainring and a 10 speed cassette not all of these combinations will be useable because of the angle of the chain, as a rough guide the smallest half of your cassette (the highest gears) will work well with the biggest chainring and the other half best with the small chainring, this is only rough but I hope you get the idea.
My advice would be to wait a bit so as to build up your fitness before changing too much but as you are already in the market for a new cassette I would go 11 . 28.

OP
OP
S

smiggs1967

Regular
Just in case it is not clear: it is the combination of chainring and rear sprocket that dictates the gear ratio. If you are riding a double chainring and a 10 speed cassette not all of these combinations will be useable because of the angle of the chain, as a rough guide the smallest half of your cassette (the highest gears) will work well with the biggest chainring and the other half best with the small chainring, this is only rough but I hope you get the idea.
My advice would be to wait a bit so as to build up your fitness before changing too much but as you are already in the market for a new cassette I would go 11 . 28.

Brilliant, it's getting clearer now mate

Top Bottom