Cassette ratios?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Willam

Willam

I'd be tempted to make it a single speed then and save the costs.
How bad is the wear on the bike and its drive train ?

to be fair the bike still rides well, apart from not being able to change gears and the left crank arm falling off lol
It’s taking me a lot of research to get this far not sure I’m up for researching turning the bike into a SS tbh.

Ajax Bay

Guru
June 2021
I had one of those government vouchers, went into Halfords to spend it, they didn't have any stock of anything I needed, ended up just getting a spare mech.
So between you and Halfords you've sailed very close to voucher misuse YMMV.
Be aware you’ll need to shorten the chain with either choice. The 11-28 will give closer ratios which may better suit flattish terrain.
1) The chain will not need shortening. The small/'small' remains 42/11.
2) On ratios @Willam what the Minging one is saying is that the change in gear ratio for each shift will be less. Obviously the smaller the largest sprocket the higher the low ratios.
The mech needs replacing, I have a spare waiting,
As we saw from your June post. But do tell us WHY the mech needs replacing (as others have implicitly asked)? Why does the cassette need replacing? What are the symptoms? Or do you just want it all new new?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
<snip>
As we saw from your June post. But do tell us WHY the mech needs replacing (as others have implicitly asked)? Why does the cassette need replacing? What are the symptoms? Or do you just want it all new new?
There's another thread where he's looking to replace the chainset due to damage, so maybe just want to renew the whole drivetrain in one go.

OP
OP
Willam

Willam

There's another thread where he's looking to replace the chainset due to damage, so maybe just want to renew the whole drivetrain in one go.

wow this has turned a little nasty…as in my history the mech got damaged.
June 2021
So between you and Halfords you've sailed very close to voucher misuse YMMV.

1) The chain will not need shortening. The small/'small' remains 42/11.
2) On ratios @Willam what the Minging one is saying is that the change in gear ratio for each shift will be less. Obviously the smaller the largest sprocket the higher the low ratios.

If you are going to trawl through my posts to then accuse me of sailing close to voucher misuse, you need to be a bit more thorough or at least also quote where I posted previously I had a mech issue, the mech has never worked correctly since I posted that thread back in 2020, so no neither me nor Halfords have “sailed close to voucher misuse”.

Last edited:
Top Bottom