Cassette rattle/Spacer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
My 10 speed 105 cassette rattled a little bit so I went and got a spacer from the LBS. Fitted it ok but then the SRAM Red derailleur (which is meant to be compatible with 105) wouldn't shift properly to the 11t cog. I completely removed the limiter screw and reset the gears but it still wouldn't play.

So not sure what to do. I assumed (cos they were all I can see on t'interweb) that all spacers are 1mm, are they?
Is there a spacer that I could fit between the lock nut and the 11t cog as that would then not change the required reach of the derailleur whilst still holding the cassette firm?

Even though the cassette rattles, it still shifts ok so maybe I just need to live with the noise.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Are you doing it up tightly enough? Does it rattle as in side to side (like a wobble) or it is back and forth or up and down?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's done up as tight as I can make it. It's definitely a wobble and having the spacer on did eliminate the wobble but effectively removed the 11t cog from use with the Red derailleur.

I cleaned the 10 spd cassette on my bike this weekend and I have 2 spacers, one thicker one because its a 11 spd hub and a thin one as the back of my shimano cassette has a indent in it to take a spacer. I am not sure whether my cassette is 105 or ultegra. Is your hub 10 or 11 speed?
Also my daughter asked me to look at her bike as it was jumping on the 11t cog. It had the wrong lock ring on it , lucky I had a sare lock ring. It was too wide/tall ( was level with the low part of the teeth)probably for one of her old junior 14t cassettes it was making the chain jump. You could ensure 11t was on the lockring somewhere.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Thanks for the replies.

The hub will be a 9/10 speed one. IIRC correctly the space is because a 10 speed cassette is strangely slightly narrower than a 9 speed but I could easily be completely wrong. The lock ring must have come with an 25-11 cassette as I haven't bought any other kind but I'll double check.

I do seem to remember a very slim washer/spacer on the lockring though, if I've kept one of the old ones I could just try putting two on there.

bpsmith

Veteran
The spacers, referred to, actually fit on the hub side rather than the lockring side. There is one on the lockring itself, but that's more of a washer than a spacer.

Top Bottom