Cassette removal tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
First one is fine as long as it's not a Campag cassette, which would require a similar, but slightly different tool.

I find the best way to use the tool is to put the tool in a vice, drop the wheel onto the tool and use the leverage of the wheel, combined with a chain whip, to loosen the cassette as they can be very tight and difficult to free up.

I'm struggling to understand how the wheel provides any leverage, rather than just the chain whip.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Me too. For tightening, yes (although I just use a big spanner on a hex-headed cassette tool).

OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Thats a good idea! but sadly, I do not use a vice. It requires a 1inch socket wrench...but do you think a large adjustable spanner + chain whip be sufficient ?

C R

Guru
Thats a good idea! but sadly, I do not use a vice. It requires a 1inch socket wrench...but do you think a large adjustable spanner + chain whip be sufficient ?
I think @boydj may have been thinking about removing a freewheel. Freehub locknuts are not usually as recalcitrant as freewheels, a chainwhip to hold the cassette and a spanner to turn the cassette tool should be all you need.

OP
OP
Leslie

Leslie

Regular
Great Thanks for all those who gave advice!!

Yea...I feel that tools are so expensive now...park tools 1inch free wheel spanner is £49.99!!!! I know its quality but still ridiculous price....

C R

Guru
Great Thanks for all those who gave advice!!

Yea...I feel that tools are so expensive now...park tools 1inch free wheel spanner is £49.99!!!! I know its quality but still ridiculous price....
Beware, freewheel and cassette tools look the same but are different sizes, make sure you get the one you need.

boydj

Legendary Member
I think @boydj may have been thinking about removing a freewheel. Freehub locknuts are not usually as recalcitrant as freewheels, a chainwhip to hold the cassette and a spanner to turn the cassette tool should be all you need.

My bikes all have cassettes.

boydj

Legendary Member
I'm struggling to understand how the wheel provides any leverage, rather than just the chain whip.

One hand engages the chain whip and holds it under the spokes, the other hand turns the rim of the wheel, which gives plenty of leverage.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Put the tool in the vice, splines upwards, and put the wheel onto the tool, engaging the tool in the centre of the cassette.
I had seen that done with freewheels, of course, with the cassette you still need the whip, that was the bit I was missing.

Top Bottom