cassette removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
to replace my rear skewer and ball bearings do i need to remove my cassette? if so how and with what tool? do i need to remove the free wheel? if so how and what tool?
Cheers Ed

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
The answer is dependent on the hub, and whether you have a cassette or freewheel hub. If you don't know the difference see this. I presume you meant axle when you said skewer.

Generally speaking for a freewheel hub it is easier to access the drive side race with the freewheel off. For cassette hubs the drive side race and bearings are generally only just inside the freehub so it is not so necessary to remove the cassette before servicing the axle and cup and cone bearings, see this.

To remove the freewheel you need a freewheel remover which is dependent on which kind of freewheel you have per this. For cassette removal you need the correct lockring remover and a chain whip. The only tools you need to overhaul most cup and cone bearing hubs are correct sized cone spanners. Spanner size requirement depends on make and model of hub.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
very interesting and useful thanks
when you said
For cassette hubs
is that the one in the first one described as free hub and cassette, with splines, or the one described as thread on free wheel and hub, with threads,?
Cheers Ed

Last edited:

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
and how do i tell which one i have with out removing the cassette?
Cheers Ed

If you compare what you have with the 4 photos in the section "Identification: Freewheel or Cassette?" in the first link I provided above, you will know what you have.

With freehubs you have cassettes, with freewheel hubs you need freewheels. Drive side bearing race and bearings are usually easily accessible without removing the cassette. As you can see in the cut-out diagrams in the other thread the drive side race and bearings of a freewheel hub is harder to access without removing the freewheel.

Top Bottom