Cassette slipping, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hawk

Veteran
Specialized customer service is outstanding

Try customerserviceuk@specialized.com

Hawk

Veteran
They replied well within 24 hours!

Specialized seem to like using their own freehubs in bikes (unbranded). If this is the case for your bike, then you'll need to get in touch with your Specialized Dealer who can sort replacement parts.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCDealerLoc.jsp

Specialized Dealers are, in my experience, quite good at knowing what's going on and how to fix it!

Unfortunately it seems we don't actually know what part is on your bike!

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
They replied well within 24 hours!

Specialized seem to like using their own freehubs in bikes (unbranded). If this is the case for your bike, then you'll need to get in touch with your Specialized Dealer who can sort replacement parts.

http://www.specialized.com/gb/gb/bc/SBCDealerLoc.jsp

Specialized Dealers are, in my experience, quite good at knowing what's going on and how to fix it!

Unfortunately it seems we don't actually know what part is on your bike!

Well I did mail when you told me to so I didnt ignore your advice :smile:, I just hoped it was something I could change myself but since Im in a hurry I will take it to the specialized dealer near to me and see what they say. I will then do research and find out how I can do it in future, I want to be able to do anything on the bike if possible. The closest dealer to work and home is Formby Cycles so I could give them a ring and see what they say.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Have a read of Hawk's thread: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/tricross-unbranded-freehub.99247/

I must admit that I was astonished when I read that Specialized use their own design freehub, but it appears that they do. The only other option I can suggest is that you post a photo of your hub / freehub and someone may be able to telll you if a standard (Shimano) freehub will fit.
It surprises me too, thanks for the link. I will post a pic, I guess my worry as I dont know the working of the hub etc is that I might misdiagnose it. Maybe a clean would fix it even but I cant see a way to open it up. I can see a possible way but the spanners in my bike toolbox dont go to that size, they stop at 16 and I think I need 17

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

It could be a worn drive train. Have you checked your chain for stretch?
Dont think its the chain, when I use the cassette remover to tighten the cassette on, the cassette is able turn the wrong way.

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

Picture of the offending wheel

Attachments

• IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 72
I agree it looks like any other Shimano freehub, but the body will do if it's Shimano compatible. If you strip down where the arrow points you should find the free hub will just pull off. If not then it will either be secured from the back with an allen bolt, or be fully threaded, but the one below seems to be the most common nowadays.

Pull off type
8f6b617d_Campagnolo_Shimano_HG_Freehub_JensonUSA_80_10h.jpeg

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

I agree it looks like any other Shimano freehub, but the body will do if it's Shimano compatible. If you strip down where the arrow points you should find the free hub will just pull off. If not then it will either be secured from the back with an allen bolt, or be fully threaded, but the one below seems to be the most common nowadays.

Aha, thanks, where your arrow points is slightly too big for the hub cone spanners I have, which is I think the tool I need to use?

Also, why is it that everyone has to comment when you arent on your bike for a change? "Why are you in the car? Too wet? Too cold?"

simon.r

Person
Aha, thanks, where your arrow points is slightly too big for the hub cone spanners I have, which is I think the tool I need to use?

On the outer nut you should be able to get away with a 17mm open ended spanner, or even, whisper...an adjustable spanner:blush:

OP
OP
Inertia

Inertia

On the outer nut you should be able to get away with a 17mm open ended spanner, or even, whisper...an adjustable spanner:blush:
ok ok Im not THAT clueless, to my eternal shame I don't have one of those at the mo, my last one broke and I havent replaced it :blush:

Top Bottom